Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy

Hello!

I have been researching the idea of building a pizza oven in my back yard and I came across your very impressive forum today. I wanted to see the links on the posts so here I am.

A little bit about me,

I am a general contractor but in no way, shape or form a mason. I do have limited masonry experience.

I am probably over confident in my skill set no matter what it is, but I love asking questions and prefer to only do things right and once. I do have a mason I work with on a regular basis, so the things that aren't oven specific I should do fine with.

I am thinking of building something much like the 32" Pompeii in Nor Cal that Boerwarrior is building, but I would like to build it on a deck and have some concerns about finished weight and how to keep that down. Hope to learn alot reading here and maybe even enough to be helpful in the discussion at some point. If nothing else maybe as a "what not to do" lol

Ty

Re: New Guy

Welcome Ty,

32 inches is a pretty small but being on your deck may be a good call regarding weight. Also, I'm very familiar with your area so I would recommend an inclosure instead of a dome. Depending on your vent height you will probably save some weight there as well (my WAG). I don't think anyone has pulled the numbers between the two regarding weight.
    Last edited by Les; 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks for the input Les! Funny thing is I joined because I couldn't see the link to your build, and you are the first to comment!

Why an enclosure for my area if you dont mind me asking?

I was thinking I need to keep weight down big time, I need to get an approximation of brick weight between that 32" and something a little larger.

I am leaning towards a mild steel lower frame with old growth redwood paneling to keep weight down, and also using steel/ss for the flu. The kitchen placement will be inside a covered porch with living space underneath. I haven't built the deck yet so I can beef it up as needed, shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking for weight approximations if anybody has any.

Comment

Originally posted by TJRad View Post

Why an enclosure for my area if you dont mind me asking?
        They are easier to keep the water out. I haven't had a problem with mine but have heard stories about the domes. You get crazy rain in those hills. If you went with a dura-vent, metal framing, insulated with loose vermiculite, I think it would weigh less in the end. A lot of us with the dome have added a lot of brick just to dress out the vent.

Comment

Yep, got 10" rain in one day last year, but I am gonna put it inside so I just need to work out the weight. Thanks for the input Les, you've already given me a lot of research to do and plenty to think about.

Just got done looking through your thread btw, that thing is impressive!

Comment

Just got done looking through your thread btw, that thing is impressive!
            Thanks - a labor of love

Comment

TJ,

Welcome aboard, Les is one of the pioneers so listen to him. Check out Lburou's Forno Bravo treasure archives in the Newbie section for links to some of the best builds, not all but a majority. It will save you alot of time searching for info.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Alright gentlemen, I have been doing my research. I am starting to zero in on approximate real weight estimates and feel as though I may be headed in the direction of something modular, or if I wanted to still build it myself a refractory mold. Bummer part is I really wanted to build out of brick because of the huge cost savings and I love recycled materials.

I am stuck at 32" I believe due to weight and size constraints although 36" is not out of the question completely.

Question is do you think I should open a thread elsewhere for discussion on weight? Best I can tell nobody I can find has tried to put one of these on a raised deck and I think the conversation could be pertinent. Which forum would you recommend as this is still just research and not a build.....yet

Comment

Question is do you think I should open a thread elsewhere for discussion on weight? Best I can tell nobody I can find has tried to put one of these on a raised deck and I think the conversation could be pertinent. Which forum would you recommend
                  I think it should be filed under "getting Started". I agree, I don't think anyone has pulled the numbers and it will benefit someone down the road. The problem I see is that all ovens are not equal - it almost needs to be broken down to the component level. It would be a lot of input because of all the variables.

Comment

Thanks Les, I'm going to try to put together a legit post with all the numbers I've put together and put it up tomorrow. Appreciate your input, Id love to do one like yours with no mortar in the dome but I'm confident I don't have that kind of patience!

Comment

Alright gentlemen, I have been doing my research. I am starting to zero in on approximate real weight estimates and feel as though I may be headed in the direction of something modular, or if I wanted to still build it myself a refractory mold. Bummer part is I really wanted to build out of brick because of the huge cost savings and I love recycled materials.

I am stuck at 32" I believe due to weight and size constraints although 36" is not out of the question completely.

Question is do you think I should open a thread elsewhere for discussion on weight? Best I can tell nobody I can find has tried to put one of these on a raised deck and I think the conversation could be pertinent. Which forum would you recommend as this is still just research and not a build.....yet
                      If it were me, I think that:
                      I would start, and stay within my build thread. If you do the research questions, and the build questions on the the same thread. it is easier to follow, and to give educated answers. At least, for some of us "old farts" . It is difficult to follow someone who is starting a new thread for every question. The info from each thread is important to base an opinion. If all the questions and the route taken are consolidated to one thread, then it is easier for us/me to give advice.

Just Sayin'
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Holy Crud Gulf, you ever look at something and feel like you're in way over your head? Your Picasa album just did that to me. I will start a build page so its only one thread, but I have to build the deck first so I am a ways away from actually building anything oven related. Nice lookin wfo!

cheers
                        Ty

Comment

Working...
                        X