Earthship WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthship WFO

We're almost done building an Earthship in upstate NY. I'm putting in a small WFO ~30" diameter that will also heat water (in a copper coil) to be pumped through heat PEX in the back hallway floor. This will be our only heat source. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before. I can't find anything online. Attached is a photo of the initial blocks. The back wall slants back so I will be pouring the rear support instead of using block.

Re: Earthship WFO

It took me a few secs to see which way was up in your photo
    I have no useful input for you but am very interested to see what you end up with. And maybe you could sneak in some pictures of the earthship as well?
    Volo et Valeo

Comment

So far we have the base and hearth done. I ended up embedding the insulation board into the 6" thick slab. Around the board I embedded insulating firebrick as well as pouring vermicrete. It should retain a lot of heat. More pictures at Freeville Earthship

Comment

Please correct me if Im wrong but isnt an Earth ship a fully enclosed entity? With no input or output into the planet Earth.

Your build looks remarkably just like a house?
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Are you asking: "why do you need a heat source?" Our winters are pretty cloudy here so the supplemental heat source that doubles as an oven would bring us up from the 55 degrees F that we bottom out at with no sun input. We have a propane stove/oven that will be used less as a result.

Comment

Here's a quick update of our build. We have a 34" diameter brick oven and currently have about 4 chains left at the top. We're using the exercise ball method to finish it off. Attached are some pictures...Wish I could figure out how to upload more. Check freevilleearthship.blogspot.com for more pictures.

The San Marzano Tomato plant in our greenhouse eagerly awaits completion.
            Last edited by Cdevoe; 07-06-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X