Want to build Wood Fired Oven Attached to Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build Wood Fired Oven Attached to Kitchen

I am in the late planning stage of a remodel. I have to make a change. I want to see if I can attach a wood fired oven to the exterior wall of my kitchen. I have talked to the local code people and they said it would be treated under the code as a wood burning fireplace. Which has nothing unusual to except that it must have a detachable metal or glass door or screen. Also mentioned is that it must have a double steel walled flue or double brick thickness flue.

I have used both 1, 1.5, and 2 meter ovens onboard ship and in Italy before so I am not a newbie to cooking with them. I want to build this oven myself as personal project. I want to stand next to it say that I built it with my two hands. I am recently retired so I have lots of time on my hands. My 10 year old daughter is also eager to help when she can...Wife asks that the front opening shelf of the oven match the countertops...

I am having custom colored concrete countertops installed by a friend and his crew. The countertops are going to be extra heavy at 3.5 in thickness with diamond pattern s/s steel going from countertop to cabinet base to form the backsplash. The hot wall is going to be covered from floor to hood in the diamond pattern ss steel.
    So I will have some technical advice available as well as access to his tools for the masonry work. We are upgrading from two home ranges to a 6 burner, 24" griddle and 24" chargrill N/G unit, a 55K btu wok burner with a water top, a double deck baking oven with steam injection, and a pair of fryers will make up the hot wall with the wood burning brick oven. I was going to put a commercial smoker in the space but it would have meant upgrading my natural gas to a 3" supply and that has a $425 minimum monthly charge. Inside I will have 29" of space for the opening of the oven but have 7' available outside. The exterior of the house is brick and the ground outside is covered with a 4" concrete pad next to the chimney of the great room fireplace. I was thinking that a 1 meter round brick oven would work best for us. Do the ovens come in metric or imperial sizes? I don't know.
    The new kitchen is going to be 35'x27' with an 20'x10' attached pantry and 8'x10' walk in freezer. Cold fridge storage will be one double glass doored 72 cubic ft unit and a 15' under counter fridge with drop in cold storage and prep surface on top. This unit is on wheels and can be placed on the wall adjacent to the location of the WFBO. I also have a 16'x16' canning kitchen in the basement. The new kitchen is going to be a big change for our house as the shared wall with the great room is going to be opened and a raised bar with stools are going to allow me an open kitchen feel and more interaction with guest. Giving our home a open design. We are also going from an open floor kitchen to a double aisle with 7' center island. Under counter cabinets are going to be painted a dark slate blue. The cabinets above the opening to the greatroom with be double sided doors with frosted glass. They will extend 24" from the ceiling. In the center of the island I will have a 4 full pan steam table installed. Sinks and dishwashers are located on the wall opposite the end of the pizza oven and have double french doors to formal dining room.
    So where do I start on planning the WFBO? Construction on the rest of the kitchen starts in 12 days. Everything else has been purchased and paid for leaving me a $3400 budget. Can it be done? Or do I leave the space blank and save up for doing it next summer? I am sorry this got so long but tried to give as much info as I could. I know that I have forgotten lots of things so ask I will try to answer as fast as I can.

Chef Magnus

PS I have 2 pallets of bricks to cover the outside of the oven to make it match my home.
    Delightfully evil for your protection 24/7/31/12/100

Re: Want to build Wood Fired Oven Attached to Kitchen

Wow! That sounds like Chef heaven.....I think it is very do able...check this thread..... http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...-wfo-9659.html I'm sure there are more...use the search...Personally, if it were me,installing indoors, I would look at the Forno Brava stuff...or at least follow their plans look...http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Resi...r-Pizza-Ovens/
    Last edited by thickstrings; 07-02-2013, 09:44 AM.
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

To your question about size, are you thinking about a Pompeii (e.g. hand-made brick) design or a pre-cast oven? The former you can make whatever size you like. The latter are available in only certain sizes - but you can get a 40" IIRC.

To your budget question - I would say $3400 is easily enough to get a really well-done Pompeii - if you are up to doing the work yourself. The bricks are going to run you about $300-350; home brew mortar is less than $50. A used brick saw is $150. The expensive bits are the double wall stainless flue and the insulating board/blanket. You can price those out in our host's store.

Hope that helps.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I want a brick oven not a pre-cast. Are the Pompeii a good way to go or should I buy bricks locally...

Comment

deejayoh
          I have access to saws and mixers...My friend says he can get all of the mortar and help me cut the bricks. What he wants to know about the thermal break between the front arch and the dome...

Chef

Comment

Hi Chef,

It sounds like a chef's dream. What are you doing, a business enterprise? It can't be for a family, unless the family is an elite militia. From looking at what you're putting in, you know as well as I that you're not going to stay within budget on your WFO project, so be up front with the BOSS, less headache. You can't fool us, more of us has been there, done that. Good luck, keep the photos pouring in.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
              Hi Chef,

It sounds like a chef's dream. What are you doing, a business enterprise? It can't be for a family, unless the family is an elite militia. From looking at what you're putting in, you know as well as I that you're not going to stay within budget on your WFO project, so be up front with the BOSS, less headache. You can't fool us, more of us has been there, done that. Good luck, keep the photos pouring in.
              Laurentius,

I agree that this is one incredible kitchen and I hesitate to even guess at the total cost. However, based on the message above and his message on my thread, it appears he plans to build a pompelli oven himself. It seems to me that $3400 is a generous budget for a DIY pompelli WFO, especially as foundation and surrounds are already budgeted. At any rate I want to see photos as this project progresses. Bruce
              Link to my build here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Chef - Welcome, you are in the right place. That is one impressive kitchen alright. If you are going to build traditionally, from brick, considering your starting point then you should be ok with the money. The place where the money can disappear in a hurry will be the finish. Depends how you go about that and it sounds like you are not in the habit of cutting corners.

Good luck with your planned build. There is a wealth of experience here to provide advice if you seek it.

It all tastes better if your sweat is on the bricks.
                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I know you are still in the design phase but it is important to note a few things as you do your planning.

"Do the ovens come in metric or imperial sizes? I don't know."
                  If you are building it yourself it makes no difference.

Use a larger flue than standard and nice large throat to capture all the smoke exiting the oven. If 8 inch is recommended use a 10 inch...

Consider a chimalator;(sp?) chimney cap as it will provide a positive seal of the flue when oven is not in use.

Normally we do not build in ash drop in the entry but for an inside oven it may have higher benefits to keep the kitchen clean.

Space management inside with the peels, pokers, doors/fire screens and other tools should also be carefully considered. You said you worked ovens before but I am sure those were large commercial kitchens, so be space aware.

And remember to consider tool storage and working access to your tools. Hangars, hooks, and tall cabinet, as well as wood storage close by. I have 2 doors for my oven and am considering a third, and I have 10 long handled tools.
                  Last edited by mrchipster; 07-03-2013, 11:07 AM.
                  Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                    Consider a chimilator;(sp) chimney cap as it will provide a positive seal of the flue when oven is not in use.
                    Lot's of good advice. I looked up chimalators and found this site. I started to ask why you made the recommendation but as I was writing the question realized it was likely so flue would be sealed while oven was not in use and keep the inside conditioned air from leaking out. Sounds like a good suggestion for an inside oven build.

Volko Supply...chimney caps...Lyemance dampers damper caps ventilation solutions & more
                    Link to my build here:

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

I like all the advice and will be working on a plan to submit to the city code office who is giving me a wavier to have commercial equipment in my home. I am recently disabled and got a settlement from my accident. I am going to have the largest private kitchen that the code office has ever heard of. I plan on doing a little catering from my home and don't want to ever feel that I don't have the right equipment for the job. I am also working with the health department so I can have a cert from them as well. I know not going up to the 3" gas line is a case of being a Scot and not wanting to waste money.

Does anyone have a set of graphics or plans that I can use for my set to turn into the code office. I was thinking about enclosing the base of the oven and placing a area for long tool storage and wood storage as well. I could hang the tools on the wall if I moved the pizza prep fridge back a few feet. It is on wheels and we have about 20 feet of wall before we get to pantry entry and walk in freezer entry. I have done 90% of the plans for my kitchen myself with the architect just copying mine into his system. As to cost we are at ~$156,000 right now with about ~3,400 for the pizza oven and ~$16,000 for unexpected expense, early completion bonuses, and missed deadline permit penalties. I had asked a local mason about doing the oven and he quoted me $20k. I have the time right now and would have the help of the on site workers if I need any heavy lifting done. So is it better to buy the kit from Forno bravo or to buy the plan and get the supplies locally and build a connection with a local supplier...

Our permits expire the 15th of November...
                      Thanks everyone for your help.

Chef...

Comment

Originally posted by Chef Magnus View Post
                        I had asked a local mason about doing the oven and he quoted me $20k. I have the time right now and would have the help of the on site workers if I need any heavy lifting done. So is it better to buy the kit from Forno bravo or to buy the plan and get the supplies locally and build a connection with a local supplier...

Chef...
                        Chef, as you know I chose to build a pompelli oven based on the plans on this site (by the way the are free). For me the deciding factor was the DIY challenge and so far I have not regretted the decision. That's not quite true, occasionally I realize that if I had built from a kit I would have been baking in it for several weeks already. I don't know if there is a dealer near you, if not buying the kit and paying shipping would likely push your budget (though not by much). I don't think there is really a right or wrong decision here, it really depends on your priorities (speed of assembly, DIY factor, and cost). I hope that in addition to catering you decide to have some cooking classes (hint) in that showcase kitchen you are creating. Bruce
                        Link to my build here:

Comment

I had asked a local mason about doing the oven and he quoted me $20k.
                          For what you are planning I would say the price is within the ballpark, just make sure he knows hoe to build an efficient well insulated modern oven and not an old fashioned one that leaks a lot of heat.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

AL, I plan on building the oven myself. I know that the mason labour is well worth it but I am lacking things to do and would like to take on the challenge myself and make it my oven. I know if he built I would probably have a oven by labor day but it wouldn't be mine. I plan on something that my grandkids will wonder about...

Chef

Comment

AL, I plan on building the oven myself. I know that the mason labour is well worth it but I am lacking things to do and would like to take on the challenge myself and make it my oven. I know if he built I would probably have a oven by labor day but it wouldn't be mine. I plan on something that my grandkids will wonder about...

Chef
                              Chef,
                              I am very interested in your build and what seems to be an awsome kitchen setup; and am retired airline, i.e. fly for free, I might be interested in paying a visit to give you a few starter hints and tricks. Send me a PM if you are interested.
                              Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X