Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Thanks for this great forum-I like many others have spent time reviewing, researching, and pondering before starting a WFO build. We finally started our 42" a few weeks back with the stand, hearth, insulating board, cooking floor and soldier course pretty much completed.

We'll cover the CMU and redo the adjacent BBQ island to match next spring when the weather warms up again. Might be doing some more of the oven build this winter, just takes longer having to keep the build tented and a small heater going until mortar can stand the temperatures without heat.

The HF 10" saw idea from the forum is awesome-managed to snag one for $197.00 last weekend. Even with the temperature change we'll be able to get all the brick cut in the heated garage out of the wind, and look to mortar when there's a sunny calm day hopefully soon.

Re: Started 42" WFO in Carson Valley, NV

Had a great warm Saturday and got the arch started along with getting the soldier and first sailor course mortared in. Will have to brush and clean the bricks when I have the chance.

Keeping everything under plastic with a small space heater until the mortar is good to go. Another warm Saturday and I can probably have the arches finished and much of the dome bricks set.

Comment

Hey neighbor - it's great to have another build so close.
      Last edited by Les; 03-11-2014, 10:05 PM.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Gudday
        That's coming along really well , noticed the neat cuts on the revel.
        I'm in the sub tropics so the concept of building in the cold and having to warm cement for it to cure is foreign to me. Around these parts best time to build would be winter as the middle of summer much to hot and usually to wet
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Les,

Your oven came out great and I spent a lot of time looking your build. It will be a good feeling to get ours done and enjoy some cooking time.

CobblerDave,

Thanks for the nice comment on the reveal. Our summers here often get to 100 F, and being somewhat short time for taking the trailer to the mountains often outweighs backyard projects. The colder weather is a hindrance with having to tent the oven off and slows building down, but not a deal breaker. We'll trudge on a bit at a time.

Comment

CV
            What a nice start you have, things look great. I give you credit for attempting a build in the winter, you definitely would not want to try that here, Today's high 40* and 25* over night, brrr. I hope you get good weather to get lots done!
            Last edited by hodgey1; 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
            Chris

Link to my photo album:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
              CV
              What a nice start you have, things look great. I give you credit for attempting a build in the winter, you deffenetly would try that here, Today's high 40* and 25* over night, brrr. I hope you get good weather to get lots done!
              Our weather is 48 / 24, not much different. When I was building mine and it got cold, I threw a tarp on it and called it good until next spring. Too much hassle dealing with snow and freezing mortar...

Comment

With the afternoon above 40 managed to get a little more of the arch together. Looking like I'll be following your lead Les and getting ready to let it sit until it warms up again next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by CV_Oven View Post
                  With the afternoon above 40 managed to get a little more of the arch together. Looking like I'll be following your lead Les and getting ready to let it sit until it warms up again next spring.
                  Good call. I was on the 6th course when I wrapped it up. You KNOW this is coming at us...

Comment

The winter is for sure coming, but a few days with afternoons 68 degrees or so gives me some additional working time. I roughed in the arches and have two more course rough cut and ready for mortar. The adapter plate fits well but still needs a day or so of fitting bricks.

Also need to acid wash the exposed faces, which might happen tomorrow if this warm weather holds.

Comment

Gudday
                      68 F is great wheather its about 19 C .... As long as its dry it a grand day.
                      Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Finished out and inner arch rough ins, cleaned up brick, and set two more courses. Now I need to start cutting courses with bevels as some joints are larger than I would like. Anyday will have to put this project on hold as the weather is sure to change to snow.....

Comment

We?ve decided to cheat the weather a bit. Since our oven build is under the patio, we built a poly sheeting tent, and with a propane heater the build room gets to 80 degrees with the heater on high. We?ve completed the chimney tie in and extended 6 feet of double wall pipe out the roof. Some fiberglass tape and a small bead of door gasket caulking should give a decent seal. The tape was left over from the door construction.

The dome/arch tie in is done, and some of chain 7 bricks are set. The end of the brick cutting is in sight. We keep the saw in the garage which is close by for cutting bricks without having to haul the saw outside and saves on cleaning time each day.

We also started the red brick which will go around the oven by getting most of the brick cut and set at the landing.

Comment

Built the door in the evenings after work a week or so ago. The forum had a lot of great ideas to look at which we based the door on. Since we had enough 2? insulation board saved for the door, we used that sandwiched in between two sheets of metal bought at Lowes. Ordered the thermometer online for $18 and the fiberglass tape should keep the board from shedding fibers which wouldn?t be good.

Comment

We managed to get most of the red brick around the oven mortared down and waiting for the grout bag. Left space for the insulation blanket, and the stucco should "bleed" over the brick an inch or so giving a good barrier against water coming with high winds on the lawn side of the oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X