Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the forum

Hello,

I am grant and live down in Christchuch New Zealand. Iam thinking of building a pompeii oven, I have made a base.

I have a lot of storage heater bricks I have collected and was hoping to use some of them in the build.

Can anyone help on the suitability of night store heater bricks for this use?

When I work out how to do it I will add a photo of my base.

Cheers.

Re: new to the forum

There were several UK builders who used storage heater bricks and/or tiles in there builds. Doing a search on UK builders will help but most of all send us some pics of the bricks.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Most night storage heater bricks are made from portland based concrete and are unsuitable for a wood fired oven.
      All the posts about using the bricks from a night storage heater never get posted to again, so I assume they failed.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, the bricks are more like tiles, they are two inch thick by eight inch square.
        They come mainly from England.
        I did a very rough test in a bon fire last winter, I built a fire on them and cooked over them for some hours(the bon fire was large) then when I was tidying up days later, I gave them a good high toss in the air and they did not break.
        And this is after they have had a live in a heater.

So Iam not sure, it would be good to use them, if I can.

I have allowed for an open fire under the base of the pizza oven, so I would like to put some in there.

The only info I have on them is , I was working with an english mason, who was building a designer inside fire, and I asked him and he said they where good quality kiln bricks, and was complaining that he could'nt get any made in New Zealand kiln bricks any more, the bricks he was working with were made in china and he said the were expensive.

having said that I havent priced them yet.

It would be good to use the storage bricks if they will stand it.
        I will keep investigating their specifications if I can find any.
        Thanks for all the advice, I need it.

Comment

clinch,

"Bookemdanno" used storage heater tiles/bricks for the floor on his build (UK). Look up his thread.
          Russell

Comment

Utahbeehiver,

Thanks for the useful advise I have googled the chap you mentioned and it seems good to use the bricks for the floor.

I also found another chap who has used the tiles like mine for the dome.

So Iam pretty stoked about all the humping I have done over the years with these bricks, that i can finally put them to good use. I have about 43

I also have some fairly old clay bricks, so I might light them up with blow torch and see if thay can handle repeated cycles of heat.

Thanks again for the help,

by the way I just poured the hearth for the open fire which is under the pizza oven today, it might be a while before I will get to the oven.
            I will build the fire pit and wood base burner first before I start on the oven.

You not what they say you have to start from the ground up!.

Comment

Clinch,

With what you folks have to pay for fire brick over there I can't blame you for looking for alternate solutions. Good luck with your build. Check the Aussie region section on the forum for supply resources. There a quite a few builds going on in your hemisphere.
              Russell

Comment

Gudday
                Check out " Budget build 36" " in the Getting started section. A NZ oven build .
                I think you would be interested
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Latest creation

Comment

And ...

Comment

What a beautiful back drop!!

Comment

hi there Iam sorry I cant view your reply at the moment due to technical clitch on the photo part.
                        but feel free to keep corosponding.

Comment

Thanks, I thought the view would be appreciated.

Comment

Nice touch, leaving the level in the pic showing a perfectly level slab. Well done

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Clinch,

With what you folks have to pay for fire brick over there I can't blame you for looking for alternate solutions. Good luck with your build. Check the Aussie region section on the forum for supply resources. There a quite a few builds going on in your hemisphere.
                              Hi there, you have helped me in a big way with those tips, I thought I had better update you on the planning for the oven.
                              1 I have posted some photos of the base they are in the thread and in lastest photos.
                              2 Went to the merchant regarding fire brick 8 dollars a brick! allthough he has some slabs I can cut up for the floor.
                              3 Did a test on the bricks and stone I have, the storage bricks were the best they held heat for the longest and were a better conducter, the clay bricks are good but take to long to heat up, the stone was to too unpredickable( had to put the eye protection on)but they held heat well, after a couple of minor discharges.

CONCLUSION. I will proberly build the cooking floor out of bought fire brick slab and cut to suit, then the dome out of storage heater brick, which I will have to cut into locking shapes. then I will insulate with red clay brick so I think this is my best option without spending thousands.

What do you think of that plan.?

Cheers Grant.

Comment

Working...
                              X