New build in Northern Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build in Northern Virginia

Hi, I am Mike and am planning a spring build for a 36" Pompeii oven. I was fortunate to find about 70 medium duty firebricks on Craigslist from a guy who built an oven (based on FB plans and this forum) about 10 miles from me. The bricks are brand new (leftovers). I plan on ordering some stuff from FB (ceramic board and blankets). I am limited to acquiring more firebricks and additional materials, learning and planning between now and March.

I have read about a lot of the builds on here and am looking forward to learning more and sharing my build with the community.

Update

Can't wait to get started! Just got back from my homeowners association meeting where my property improvement request was voted on. I am happy to say my plans for the WFO and grill area have been approved!! I showed the committee several pictures from this forum to help explain my intent. I modeled my layout based upon Les' finished setup.

Now I just need the snow to melt and the ground to stop freezing and I can get to work! Hopefully I will be able to begin in two weeks or so. Time to order some materials........

Comment

Re: New build in Northern Virginia

Hi Mike - Welcome to the forum. Good to hear that you have got the green light for your build. The weather is another thing altogether.

You will find plenty of good advice and suggestion here and as you would have found, many very attractive builds, many practical if a little more rustic ones as well but the common thread is that they all have bought their builders/owners a lot of pleasure and many tasty treats.

Best of luck with your build.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Welcome, Mike. I too am planning a spring build and looking forward to getting started, too. The best of luck to you.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard. Les' build and layout is certainly a nice way to go.

Just cuz its freezing doesn't mean you can't research your materials. I just came across this insulation today - you might take a gander at it:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound Fire & Soundproofing Insulation for steel stud walls 16 in. on center-RXSS31525 at The Home Depot

Don't hesitate to holler with questions.

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
            Hey Mike,

Welcome aboard. Les' build and layout is certainly a nice way to go.

Just cuz its freezing doesn't mean you can't research your materials. I just came across this insulation today - you might take a gander at it:

Roxul Safe 'n' Sound Fire & Soundproofing Insulation for steel stud walls 16 in. on center-RXSS31525 at The Home Depot

Don't hesitate to holler with questions.

John
            Been using that for years...good stuff.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Would that insulation be good for the top and sides of the oven you think? Looks like it would work ..
              Art

Mdog -- welcome aboard, I just joined as well and am gathering materials for a spring build

Comment

Yes, you can.

My previous and current ovens were insulated with it and it works very well.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

My previous and current ovens were insulated with it and it works very well.
                  Stonecutter,

Since you have experience with this:

I have a void of 6"-10" between my 4-6" of primary oven insulation and my concrete board enclosure wall. I'm thinking of filling this space with 59sq' of 3.5" Roxul. (It's $50 here in CA) Overkill?

Comment

Yep...but then, you may as well fill the void anyway, and you can never have too much insulation.

Perlite or vermiculite will be fine too...but if it was me, I'd go with the Roxul.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the welcome!

I appreciate the welcome!.

Thanks also for the information on the insulation. I have really enjoyed reading about many of the great builds that are chronicled on here.

What amount of roxsul would be equivalent to 3" of FB ceramic blanket? The roxsul is 3.5" as far as I know. My Home Depot has 40 packs in stock I was planning on ordering the ceramic board and blanket from FB because they are proven performers, but the shipping cost is high to Virginia. If I can source comparable products in the Washington DC area, I will.

Art nj and NCMan - I look forward to following your builds as we take the plunge together.

Greenman,GianniFocaccia, and Stonecutter - I have read through your builds (and many more) and can only hope to come close to their quality. I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the way.

Comment

Mike,

I hear ya on the prohibitive cost of shipping. I am certain there are a number of distributors of ceramic fiber board in your area since it is such a common product in refractory applications. I bought a product called Insboard 19 from the largest refractory manufacturer in the US, Harbison Walker, who has a Los Angeles distribution center. I've recommended them here several times to folks on the east coast.

I know its not Northern Virginia, but check 'em out. They're also known as ANH Refractories.

Refractory Products

John

Comment

I got a fairly good deal from Distribution International. I found one in driving distance from me. They have several locations on the East Coast. Between this one, and John's recomendation, maybe you can find a distributor near you.

Good luck .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            I got a fairly good deal from Distribution International. I found one in driving distance from me. They have several locations on the East Coast. Between this one, and John's recomendation, maybe you can find a distributor near you.

Good luck .
                            Thanks! They have a location about 30 minutes from me. The ANH / Harbison Walker distributor is several hours away.

Comment

Welcome! ... And SC... Thanks for the Roxul Suggestions. I will be going with that and then cover with some perlite to finish it off.
                              Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Working...
                              X