Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction from Nogales, AZ

Greetings All,
    I am Larry Brown and my son and I are trying to go mobile by building a mobile oven.

I want to go lightweight but not sure how to accomplish that and maintain heat and stability.

Also would like some help securing the oven to the trailer.

Any one willing to share their success???
    Larry Brown
    Nogales, AZ

Re: Introduction from Nogales, AZ

Hello TopBrown!
    Welcome to the forno bravo community.

BTW your handle might mean you were/are Top NCO in maybe USMC? Is that a good guess?

You can view my build pictures in Structural Slab for New WFO ... my oven was mobile only in the fact that it had no final resting place until recently...

Started it a year ago and still working on getting it set up permanently. From latest calculations, the oven and supporting slab weigh in at about 1250kg in Imperial units 2750 pounds! Far from lightweight. The real guy to get information from is DavidS... I believe besides his personal ovens, and for rental mobile units, he may sell kit ovens that are cast over sand molds. He would have recommendations on small ovens that could be made. Really lots of information out there... just take the time to look around.

I had a DI in boot camp San Diego years ago whose last name was SSGT Brown and first name (SIR). Real tough guy! Taught me to work on my abs if I was going to smile or look around at all!

Comment

Good call
      I am a retired Army First Sergeant. Was a DI but served as a combat medic.

I am going to start off with a steel dome wrapped with a couple inches of blankets and finished with 3 inches of perlcrete mix. Hearth will be fire brick on top of 4 inches of perlcrete.
      Larry Brown
      Nogales, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by topbrown View Post
        Greetings All,
        I am Larry Brown and my son and I are trying to go mobile by building a mobile oven.

I want to go lightweight but not sure how to accomplish that and maintain heat and stability.

Also would like some help securing the oven to the trailer.

Any one willing to share their success???
        I don't have any experience with building a steel dome although I do have a small oven on a trailer that I cast using castable refractory. Try doing a search on the forum "mobile oven" or "trailer" there are plenty. Try Wiley, he has experience building a steel domed oven. If using a steel dome you will probably need to add some thermal mass over it before covering with the blanket as thin steel will gain and lose heat really fast on its own.
        Last edited by david s; 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by topbrown View Post
          Good call
          I am a retired Army First Sergeant. Was a DI but served as a combat medic.

I am going to start off with a steel dome wrapped with a couple inches of blankets and finished with 3 inches of perlcrete mix. Hearth will be fire brick on top of 4 inches of perlcrete.
          Topbrown,

Thank you for your service to our country! Only the finest and brightest ever became DI's. Transforming civilians into soldiers and making them team players.

Glad to hear that you made it to retirement, combat medic kept you in the thick of it--your actions made it possible for soldiers to fight another day---and many to come home.

Don't know anything about steel domes, the refractory ones really hold the heat though. Someone has one in the forum using a bulk propane tank end section for dome, but don't remember who.

Probably work great! If it loses heat quickly, it also heats equally fast. Pizza making keeps an active fire so you'd be constantly replenishing the heat.

Think there are other products that would work well below the firebrick that don't need to dry for so long. Also not as easily damaged by movement or vibration...can visualize lots of scenario. Keep posting photos when you start your project!

Comment

Working...
          X