Newcomer from Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer from Hong Kong

I've been scouring this site for some time, originally looking for tips on pizza making, but then I got hooked on the idea of having my own wood fired oven. I'm beginning to wonder whether it was a crazy idea. I live in a high rise in Hong Kong, luckily on the top floor. Ordering my Premio from Forno Bravo was the easy but. Just drink four or five beers, fire up the lap top and send off the order. Within a few weeks it was sitting on the docks at Kwai Chung waiting for its owner to pick it up. The delivery men had never seen anything quite like it. And at first they declared that it was impossible even to move it from the street, let alone get it up to my apartment. It was only after a couple of hours of cajoling and suggesting alternative ways to shift it that it finally made it up to my car park. Next was the challenge to get a builder to build the base on my rooftop and assemble the oven. The first quote was US$20,000! Safe to say, I didn't shake hands on that. I found someone else - but they'll only do it on a daily rate. So I'll take a couple of days off work to supervise the whole thing. The building starts next week, after Chinese New Year. It's the year of the horse for everyone else, it's the year of the pizza oven for me. Next comes the challenge of getting enough wood or other combustibles to cure the thing and fire it up. I don't know how many forum members are familiar with Hong Kong, but it's not big on forests. I've been eating my way around the 'wood fired' pizza restaurants of Hong Kong asking where they get their wood. But so far I'm yet to find a pizza place with an oven which is genuinely wood fired. I'm sure there is a solution out their somewhere...... As someone who's been in pursuit of how to making a better pizza in a domestic oven for the last 12 years, the idea of having a real oven at last is tantalising. So near but yet so far.

So if any forum members have any bright ideas how to find wood in Southern China, or how to run a wood fired oven without wood, they'll be rewarded with a home made pizza, 30 stories above street level, next time they're in Hong Kong. Kung Hei Fat Choy..

Re: Newcomer from Hong Kong

Sorry Stephen,
    I don't know anything about Hong Kong. It sounds like that you may have to get creative about sourcing wood. Just about any seasoned wood, that is not treated with some chemical will get your oven up to temp. Think: tree pruners, cabinet shops, shipping crates/pallets etc. When you are traveling about town, keep your eyes open for opportunities. If there are any city parks there, keep a bag and some loppers with you .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gudday
      haven't been to Hong Kong for a good 25 yrs , id say it would have grown somewhat since then!
      Firewood would be somewhat of a challenge. I think Gulfs Right in his way looking for wood to try cabinet shops and packing grates.
      On the subject of grates and pallets I was given a few pallets that came with some kitchen electrical pieces. I excepted them in the spirit they were given thinking all the time "no way these things have got to be treated" They had a code No. inked into the wood. I googled it and they were treated alright but not anything nastie. They were steamed to kill insects and there eggs and then wax sealed. They burnt well!
      Why not a bit of a compromise and have the oven part gas heated and finish it off with real wood fire. Lots of pizza places do that around the world. I believe forno has a gas conversion with all the good gas cut off and safety bits.
      Anyway worth a thought
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Gulf and Cobbler. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start scavaging. But I'll also look at the gas idea. I'm not sure if it can be fitted to an oven intended for wood only - but it would make life easier. Cheers.

Comment

Gudday Stephen
          Forno has a Gas conversion kit in there commercial oven section, send them a e-mail see if its suitable. From what they have written, no fans or anything, the gas burns on the natural air drawn through the door and is designed to overate with wood in the oven as well.
          Regards Dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
          X