Indoor Brick Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoor Brick Oven

Hi there, I am planning to build an indoor oven, and was told that it may fume a bit and leave a burning smell inside. Moreover as we have a climate of around 35 c in summer was also told that would not be ideal to use it during this time. Are these concerns real? Thanks

Re: Indoor Brick Oven

The smell of wood smoke, etc, might be a real problem. But I think it would not be a major problem.

Read everything you can about how the vent, smoke chamber and flue should be constructed, and how the fire should be lit when you start the oven. If an oven is going to smoke, it is worst during that first period when the flue hasn't heated yet and is not drawing as well as it will when everything is hot.

A door with a cut out to admit fresh combustion air, sometimes called a blast door, can be used to ensure only the lower section of the entry is open. This would ensure the smoke goes up the chimney.

As for summer operations, you would want the oven well insulated so as to not conduct heat into the walls of your home, and hold the heat well for baking, but still there will be some heating of your kitchen from radiated heat from the opening.

Here in Australia we've had several weeks where the temperature has reached more than 40 degrees during most days.

At 3 am Sunday, I was anchored 5 km offshore in my fishing boat and the temperature, with a 10 knot breeze blowing across the water, was still 30 degrees.

Needless to say, my oven doesn't get used in this season. If it was indoors I wouldn't want to heat my kitchen, and where it now sits outdoors, I am mindful of the potential to start a fire in the backyard.

Hopefully, this thread will help you find good information quickly:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html
    Last edited by wotavidone; 02-02-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X