Hello from Portland, OR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Portland, OR

Well, I've got my Forno Bravo oven installed. I think it's a Casa2G. I've got a load of hardwood, and I'm ready to get started. I'm scared spitless! We installed the oven in a brick nitch in our front courtyard of our townhouse, but I'm worried about smoke to the surrounding units. The first fire I tried, the temperature got to 900 degrees (I know it was supposed to be 350), when I finally put the door on the oven and killed the fire. I haven't tried it since! We are having our children over for Easter Egg dyeing next week, and I've got to try again. I need to season it, but not sure how to go about that and get the right heat. I'm going to throw myself on your mercy and see if you can help.

Re: Hello from Portland, OR

OK - Just talked to Forno Bravo, and what I did wrong in my first fire is make it too big. Jenny said to make little teeny fires, which I will do with kindling, and see if that works better. Will let everyone know.

Comment

welcome!

Don't be scared of it! Every oven has a 'personality' and you just have to become familiar with yours! Start small - use some newspaper and kindling only to begin with. Start the fire near the entrance so that you don't have difficulty with draw. (Down the line when you have a large hot fire it will draw fine deep inside the oven.) After the kindling is burning, add one SMALL log and let that burn down. No more for the first day. Next day you can repeat, gradually making the fires bigger. Watch the temperature and try to follow the curing temperature schedule that came with your oven - but don't stress if you don't get it exactly right. But smaller and slower is better in the beginning. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Same advice I got from Forno Bravo. Starting today, & will report results.

Comment

Working...
        X