Oven door explodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven door explodes

My contractor provided an oven door made out of some flame and heat resistant material.

Well, after burning wood to get the inside oven walls and celings piping hot (about 7000F), the door he made to cover the opening of the oven literally exploded.

The contractor had made the door out of a fire-resistent material", facingthe fire, and then just a wood face toward the outside.

The kit had originally called for a cast iron door.

Is this just bad design, or a bad contractor?

Re: Oven door explodes

G'day
    There a lot of information in this forum note the search function on the main page. With you exploding door.... Sounds like your contractor is not an oven builder. Time for you to do dome investigating there's a thread called show us your door in the tips section from memory.
    You previous thread on pizza making .... There is more than one section devoted to all types of cooking time to check them out .
    Just for information pizza gets cooked with flame in the oven with a 90 sec pizza requiring up to three turns to prevent burning. Bread usually cooked with an insulated door, no fire, on the heat retained in the oven.
    Hope this helps in part
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by allessior View Post
      My contractor provided an oven door made out of some flame and heat resistant material.

Well, after burning wood to get the inside oven walls and celings piping hot (about 7000F), the door he made to cover the opening of the oven literally exploded.

The contractor had made the door out of a fire-resistent material", facingthe fire, and then just a wood face toward the outside.

The kit had originally called for a cast iron door.

Is this just bad design, or a bad contractor?
      You're saying got the inside of your oven to 7000f??? What are you using for fuel.....Oxyacetylene or magnesium? No way was your oven that hot.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

A Dodge hemi dragster engine fuelled with nitro methane, reportedly gets temps around 7000F. That would be fun to try in your WFO, but it might blow up more than the door.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X