Re: Wisconsin Considerations

Hey Chip where did you find thoes at

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
      Hey Chip where did you find thoes at

Randy
      Here is the east and upper midwest list of dealers.

Buy Diamond Pier DP-50 (Residential) in Wisconsin

Several are in MN
      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
        Hi take a look at this new product.

Pin Foundations Diamond Pier

At about 115.00 each pier you should be under $500 for footings and save a lot of digging.
        Totally 100% useless to guard against frost heave. 100%. Now, if frost heave is of no concern to you, or you plan on building a wood framed chicken coop, sitting on sand, then use them. I'd save your money for things that actually do something. Really.
        Last edited by NCMan; 04-06-2015, 05:29 AM.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Felix, Just for Back up on what you have heard, I live in Green Bay and have an oven running for 3 yrs now on a floating slab 6" thick on a bed of 2' of gravel. not a problem. Get to it.

Comment

Well I've begun, and I have a huge hole in my back yard and am indeed doing four foot deep footings. So far I had someone dig the hole for me and I poured 8" deep, 16" wide footings. It has been a week since I poured them so I'll take the forms off this weekend if I get the time.

Ultimately I decided not to float a slab because I keep walking around town and there are more sidewalks cockeyed than there are level. My oven is going to be in the root mass of a maple and between that and the frost I don't want it heaving up on one side in ten years.

Comment

Congratulations on getting started. I am glad to hear that you went with the footings. I did not. I hope that was not a bad idea on my behalf, but I just couldn't dig that deep by hand. I am almost done with my build. I am on to my curing fires and doing my veneer stone. I can't wait to see what you end up doing. Good luck. Her is where I am at.

Randy

Comment

That looks great! Ultimately I don't think I could have dug the hole by hand either. I have a friend from church who runs an excavating business. He came over with a small backhoe and dug the hole for me for what I would guess wasn't much over his cost. After seeing it done, I'm sure there is no way I could have dug it manually.

Incidentally, are you selling your wet saw on craigslist right now?
                Last edited by manumit; 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM.

Comment

No I am still useing it to cut some of the stone. I am not sure if I will sell it. I have had it for several years now and it is a pretty nice saw for being harbor fright. What part of Wisconsin are you in. Maby we could work something out. We are over there pretty often as that is where my wife is from. Just to let you know I went through 2 of the rigid segmented blades. There is just barely enough carbide left to cut on the second blade. Make sure you start a build thread. I can't wait to see some pictures of your progress.

Randy

Comment

I know this thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd update it with what I ended up doing.

I dug a basement. Well, technically a friend with a backhoe dug a huge hole for me.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I think this was the end of year 1. I can't remember. I might have only gotten to ground level on year 1. This might be the end of year 2.

Comment

I ended up going to Smith-Sharpe in Minneapolis for the the fire-brick and insulation. I think my truck was a bit over capacity, but I made it home without getting pulled over.

Comment

I initially tried to use mortar from Smith-Sharpe but it was designed for much smaller gaps than I am capable of making. I ended up making the standard 3:1:1:1 mortar with sand, portland cement, clay, and lime. It worked great.

Comment

Putting the last piece in the dome was quite satisfying. I think this was the end of the working season for this project year. - year 2 or 3 - it gets hard to remember.

Comment

I think this was the summer that I did an accidental bathroom remodel, and I got very little done on the WFO.

As a relatively unrelated note, you can't just pull down a shower surround that is glued to the wall, fix mold problems, and then put it back up. It's not going to happen and you're going to end up making 10 trips to to the hardware store and completely replacing a ton of stuff.

Comment

The mice love that ceramic insulating blanket during the winter while its covered with a tarp. As a result the whole thing stank of mouse urine when I opened it up to work on the following spring.

I switched the chimney type because I had a big crack in the front arch and I was worried about it supporting the heavier chimney type.

Comment

Working...
                                X