Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Researching Mode

Hi Everyone,
    I'm just statrting researching for an oven I'm hoping to start circa next year here in Derby UK.
    One builder's merchant has been telling me he knows of someone who used Engineers blue brick in place of firebricks, does anyone have advice on that please?

Dave

Re: Researching Mode

Sorry, I haven't heard of it.

Comment

Hi Dave,
      I was just asking the same question a few days ago, and I may be starting such a project one day.
      See my thread : where you can find some useful information.
      Bests.
      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Hodder View Post
        Hi Everyone,
        I'm just statrting researching for an oven I'm hoping to start circa next year here in Derby UK.
        One builder's merchant has been telling me he knows of someone who used Engineers blue brick in place of firebricks, does anyone have advice on that please?

Dave
        G'day
        I've googled engineers blue brick and only got stories like "engineer pulls out brick and building falls down" .
        What is an engineers blue brick ?
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Engineering bricks are commonly known as blue bricks here in the UK but the Wikipedia page has more detail

Engineering brick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thx
          Dave

Comment

Engineering bricks are commonly known as blue bricks here in the UK but the Wikipedia page has more detail

Engineering brick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thx
            Dave

Comment

G'day
              Thanks they sound pretty heavy duty and should make a goodly amount of mass
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I think the main issue you would have with engineering bricks is their hardness; cutting them with household tools would be challenging. Secondly, unless they are recycled they will be very expensive, because they are made for a specific purpose.
                Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Thanks for the post about blue-bricks....I learned something today.

Blue bricks sound like a winner if you can find a good source of supply that isn't too expensive. As far as cutting goes, I would think they wouldn't be that much different than regular firebrick....noting a diamond blade couldn't handle.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I'm at research mode too and am planing to use Engineering bricks too as I have enough of them lying around my property. Making an oven out of them is much better than taking them down the tip.

I read enough about the engineering bricks to give them a go with not too much concerns about reduced performance of the oven or cracking bricks. I've already made a BBQ out of some of them and have not had any hint of cracks so far and other anecdotal evidence on this site seem to suggest it won't be a problem.

I'm hoping to get a weekends worth of cooking in the oven from a single firing, which should be possible using firebrick. However, I can re-fire if required which will not be the end of the world.

Mine will take a bit of cleaning up though which won't be too easy and I've only just got enough. So as a compromise I'm probably going to make the oven floor out of new firebrick to reduce any risk of cracking as the base will take the brunt of quick heating up/cooling down and it will ensure I have a nice flat stable oven floor.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Comment

Originally posted by atb trev View Post
                      Hi Dave,

I'm at research mode too and am planing to use Engineering bricks too as I have enough of them lying around my property..
                      atb, Dave,
                      I'm planning to build an oven from basalt too. Keep us posted. Interested to follow your builds.
                      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
                      I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                      X