Hi From CT - New build Starting in a month or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hi From CT - New build Starting in a month or so

Good to hear! Just need to source the rest of the materials locally. ceramic blanket, fiber board, stucco. Stucco isn't to popular up here as is it down south.
    I found Inswool Ceramic Fiber Blanket 8# 1x 24 50sq ft. box is $ 128.50 per box from anhrefractories.com. Looks like the same specs as the FB store but shipping charges are $50. Doesn't seem right that the shipping is almost as much as the product.

And I'm making concrete countertops (unless wife decides otherwise) for the kitchen. I think that's looking like 25' of counter.

Comment

Excited - Patio is now 100% done!
      Now I can start working on the kitchen and oven area. Picking up bricks today.

Can I put the oven on a steel stud base on the paver patio? I'd like to just build all the cabinets and ovenbase at the same time, same level etc. Since I'm doing concrete countertops I was thinking for the oven area I can do the same countertop but use insulated concrete for that section. This way it would be the same color and finish.
      Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Robl View Post
        ..........Can I put the oven on a steel stud base on the paver patio?........
        Thoughts?
        I would not. Though (depending on your age)........ it might outlast you!............... But, why not leave you mark for the next "generation or so" .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Got back from the brick pick up. 193 bricks - $100. I don't recommend using a min-van! turned into a low rider but seems ok. Good thing I had new brakes and new shocks on it.
          Bricks look fine for the dome but I will be getting new for the base.

I'll have to investigate adding a lot of weight on the steel base on pavers idea. 1 vote for no isn't quite enough to sway me yet. If I can't I'm not sure where else to put it right now.

I found a local supplier of Caputo and other pizza supplies so I'm excited to try that out vs the store general purpose flour.

Comment

Ultimately it is your decision but heed Gulf's advice, he knows his S#$%. Your mini van can attest how heavy these ovens really are. There is no rebar in your pavers and they are independent of each other.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

My $0.02: Use CMU for the base. You'll want the oven higher than countertop height anyway, unless you're on the very short side. 45 inches or so is about right so you're not leaning over all the time. Plus you should pour a concrete base for the oven. Don't put it on pavers.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

The primary concern about placing framework on top of pavers is the base they were laid in. That is the weak link with that
                option. If you have confidence your patio won't retain a lot of water ( base material with fines-poor draining) leading to excessive frost heaving, or major settling.....then a framed base will work. If it was me, I would use 8" ground contact PT for the base plate and studs 12" oc.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Sorry I was not around when you came up to pick up the bricks. I think if you saw the mass of the oven in person you might reconsider building on top of pavers. I believe that there is a lot of red clay down in your neck of the woods. The clay holds a lot water and will cause frost heaving, even with good base of stone dust under pavers.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pemer View Post
                    Sorry I was not around when you came up to pick up the bricks. I think if you saw the mass of the oven in person you might reconsider building on top of pavers. I believe that there is a lot of red clay down in your neck of the woods. The clay holds a lot water and will cause frost heaving, even with good base of stone dust under pavers.
                    Paul
                    Stone dust is a sponge, and not much better than the clay.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Robl View Post
                      Got back from the brick pick up. 193 bricks - $100. I don't recommend using a min-van! turned into a low rider but seems ok. Good thing I had new brakes and new shocks on it.
                      Bricks look fine for the dome but I will be getting new for the base.

I'll have to investigate adding a lot of weight on the steel base on pavers idea. 1 vote for no isn't quite enough to sway me yet. If I can't I'm not sure where else to put it right now.

I found a local supplier of Caputo and other pizza supplies so I'm excited to try that out vs the store general purpose flour.
                      were did you find the caputo. i am live in North Haven i been have looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben A View Post
                        were did you find the caputo. i am live in North Haven i been have looking.
                        There are 2 options that I found so far - BrickOvenBaker.com, Sharing your Passion for Homemade Pizza, Bread and Pasta sells different sizes. You can pick it up in Madison. Use the coupon code "madison" so they will add free shipping. Which is their key to hold it at the warehouse.

I'm guessing they but it from http://www.napolifoodsinc.com/ Napoli Foods. That is the other option - buying it direct from Napoli Foods in Cheshire. They ONLY sell the 50lb bag. I think he said it was $35. If you are interested I'd split it with you. 50lbs is a lot and i don't know the shelf life to store that much. Plus bringing home 50lbs of flour may upset the other 1/2.

They also have SAF yeast, olive oil, etc. I have a tax ID so the pricing could be less if I setup an account. They have a catalog on line but no pricing. They were very nice on the phone though.
                        Last edited by Robl; 07-07-2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I also got my fire bricks from canaan in early june they were much heavier than i thought ,they are 9x4.5x3 stamped Z6 does any one know if these are medium or heavy duty bricks,and if the will work for dome?

Comment

Working...
                          X