Hi From CT - New build Starting in a month or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi From CT - New build Starting in a month or so

Hi everyone! Just joined after reading so many pages and pages of info here. Entire family is looking forward to a pizza oven.

Today I'm about to finish the patio (1800sq ft). Just have to compact and get the poly sand in and watered.

Next is the outdoor kitchen with the pizza oven on the end. Hoping to start that next week once we finalize the design.

I'm thinking of doing a 36" WFO. Is that a good size for regular family use?

I found (well someone else found them for me) someone in CT selling 8"x4.5"x2.5" firebricks. I can't figure out how many I need for this size oven.
    I'm guessing I need to cut them down to 2.5" squares" (tapered according to the pompeii dome calc).

Thanks all!
    Rob

Re: Hi From CT - New build Starting in a month or so

Welcome! 36 inches is a great size oven for a family. Good balance between big enough for a couple pizzas and small enough that you don't need to burn down a whole forest.

You'll need ~180 bricks. Maybe 200 to be safe if they are cheap. Snap those suckers up. But are you sure they aren't 9" long? That is the standard size. You cut them in two and get 4.5 x 4.5 x 2" squares to build your dome out of.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Robl View Post
      Hi everyone! Just joined after reading so many pages and pages of info here. Entire family is looking forward to a pizza oven.

Today I'm about to finish the patio (1800sq ft). Just have to compact and get the poly sand in and watered.

Next is the outdoor kitchen with the pizza oven on the end. Hoping to start that next week once we finalize the design.

I'm thinking of doing a 36" WFO. Is that a good size for regular family use?

I found (well someone else found them for me) someone in CT selling 8"x4.5"x2.5" firebricks. I can't figure out how many I need for this size oven.
      I'm guessing I need to cut them down to 2.5" squares" (tapered according to the pompeii dome calc).

Thanks all!
      Rob
      Hi Rob

Welcome and enjoy your build.

Just my opinion, unless back yard space is an issue I would recommend building no less than a 42". I built a 42" and it is tight if you get to the point of wanting to cook 2 pies at once but that's a personal preference thing. I think the advantages of a smaller oven are less of a pre-heat time and smaller foot print which maybe appealing to you. My oven takes 2 hrs + to preheat.

For brick quantities, I used appox 210 9"x4.5"x2.5" medium duty bricks as prescribed in the manual, that included using them for my decorative arch and flue. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend downloading the free FB Pompeii Oven manual and read it completly.
      Chris

Link to my photo album:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Thanks. I think they are standard size. I might go pick them up tomorrow. He said they are standard size so I'm hoping that meant 9". I think he said I can get 220 of them for $100.
        Space isn't a concern but heat up time would be.

I have the plans now and will be printing them out shortly for more details and to help with the planning.

Any threads to go through to help with the planning and do's/don't?

Comment

$0.45 each? SCORE!!!!

Get 'em all

As for threads - depends on what kind of build you want. If you're planning to cut all your bricks to minimize gaps - check out Utah Beehiver, Gulf, Texman, Gianni Foccacia, and probably many others. Start with Luboro's treasures thread.

Download the spreadsheet in my signature to figure out your cuts/angles

The plans are great, but much in there is outdated vs. current build designs. E.g. they use soldiers where almost no current builds use them, there is no mention of an IT, the directions on how to join your arch/dome are outdated and difficult. You can get the big picture on steps, dimensions, etc - but the state of the art has moved on and is to be found in the forums.
          My build progress

Comment

Not all fire brick is 9"...it depends on the manufacturer.

Where are you in CT?
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

I'm near Middletown CT. Just a little south in Haddam near the CT River.

Yes seems like a good score. Too bad he's 1 1/2hr away. Trying to decide if it's worth saving $200 but loosing 3 hrs plus gas.

I'll have to take a look at newer builds mentioned. I believe I've read a lot of them already but I'll take notes this time

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                .....the state of the art has moved on and is to be found in the forums.
                True....so very true. Some great advice.
                My Build:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

If you are coming up after those bricks in Canaan I am about 10 min away and you welcome to come by to see the start of my oven.
                  paul

Comment

Originally posted by pemer View Post
                    If you are coming up after those bricks in Canaan I am about 10 min away and you welcome to come by to see the start of my oven.
                    paul
                    Are you around in the afternoon? Not sure what time yet. Have to arrange getting my wife's mini-van free.

Comment

I am usually back around 4:30
                      paul

Comment

You can make 8 inchers work. Dome will be 4" instead of 4. 5" price is deal. Good luck, swmbo okay hauling fire brick in her minivan, lol brave soul. LOL
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Robl View Post
                          Rob,

I am no brick expert but it seemed in my building of my oven that attention to the type of firebrick was critical. If you read the Forno Bravo plans they stress to only use a medium duty fire brick and they spell out its make up fairly clearly in the plans. I would seek advice from others here on the forum and the plans and be sure the bricks you are getting are suitable, otherwise they might not be such a good deal.

From FB plans
                          "We recommend medium duty firebrick for both the cooking
                          floor and dome of the Pompeii oven, and it is the type of
                          firebrick we provide as part of the Pompeii Oven Kit.
                          Medium duty firebricks are comprised of roughly 38%
                          alumina, and are highly compressed and kiln fired. They
                          heat up quickly, easily withstand the 1000?F heat your oven
                          will reach, and are designed for the rapid heat-up and cool
                          down (thermal cycling) that your oven will experience. This
                          type of firebrick will also reach the heat required for baking
                          Pizza Napoletana pizza quickly than clay brick, as they are
                          more efficient at conducting heat."
                          Chris

Link to my photo album:
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            You can make 8 inchers work. Dome will be 4" instead of 4. 5" price is deal. Good luck, swmbo okay hauling fire brick in her minivan, lol brave soul. LOL
                            I have a movers blanket and even without that I don't think it will do as much as the 3 punks I mean my kids do to it.
                            Just got new shocks on it so I think it should be able to handle that much weight.
                            Last edited by Robl; 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
                              Rob,

I am no brick expert but it seemed in my building of my oven that attention to the type of firebrick was critical. If you read the Forno Bravo plans they stress to only use a medium duty fire brick and they spell out its make up fairly clearly in the plans. I would seek advice from others here on the forum and the plans and be sure the bricks you are getting are suitable, otherwise they might not be such a good deal.
                              Builders have had as good with all grades of brick. I wouldn't worry about it, especially at that price.
                              My build progress

Comment

Working...
                              X