Hello from Dash Point, Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Dash Point, Washington

Hi everyone, I am seriously considering building a brick over on the bulkhead of my beach on the Puget Sound. I am considering building it lower to the ground than the one in the plans. I would apprecreciate any advice or tips.
    Thanks!

Michael

Re: Hello from Dash Point, Washington

Welcome, why build it lower?
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

It will be the only structure on my 25' x 25' concrete patio just a few feet from the beach. I am concerned about it obstructin the view from my house which sits back about 50 feet. Just trying to think ahead.

Comment

The recommended height is very important for the oven, unless you don?t plan on cooking in it. I am concerned about obstruction as well; I am going the igloo route to minimize it.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

It would be very uncomfortable to have to bend way down to use the oven. Perhaps you could sink the area in front of the oven somehow so you were still standing at a comfortable level?

Just an idea...

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I was thinking of building my base one course of concrete blocks lower than the model recommended in the plans on this site. That would make the oven floor about 32 inches above grade. Lowering the ground around the oven is not a convenient option because I already have an existing slab. Other than the potential pain in my back from bending over, will the height effect the funtionin of the oven?

Comment

It shouldn't, but be careful that the top of the chimney doesn't end up so low that smoke is egressing at eye level.
              "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Hi, I'm just down the road from you, and another builder, El Pauco, is also pretty close. If you are going to build it lower, you might have a go at using a stool (or knee pads) to avoid stooping while working the oven. I think you are right, protect the view. Could you build the oven at the edge of your pad and have a depressed area off the edge of the pad? Don't forget to consider prevailing winds when you plan your opening.

Marc

Comment

Maver is making some good points. Try to imagine being stooped over while you work the oven. It can be done of course but as James has pointed out in the past, the oven probably want's to have an approx 36" floor. Mine is 38" or so. You will have a chimney to contend with where your view is concerned and as Maver noted you have a prevailing wind from the SW most of the year. It's all about compromise anyway. Once you start and the concrete is poured you can probably work around the reality of it. Best of luck and remember to take lots of pictures and share them with us.
                  Mike
                  "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Thanks guys! that is good advice. I am starting to rething the whole idea about putting on the bulkhead. Maybe I will just build so I can use it on the deck when I redo the deck. That way I can put it off to the side so as not to block the view. I did like the idea of having it double as a fireplace and cooking pizza on the beach, but I can simply build a freestanding firepit on the bulkhead and use that for smores and hotdogs and such.

In light of the fact that I will probably only do this once, I am going to do a lot of planning before I start. I will remember to take pictures once I do.

Comment

I agree, firepit for the beach, pizza oven closer to the main house (attached to the deck sounds good). Unless you have a huge budget, you're going to be doing prep work inside. Around here, you need to plan for possible bad weather, which means you are outside baking pizza and running it into the house so your guests stay dry. A brick oven also makes a pretty lousy fireplace - not enough heat escapes to warm more than 1 or 2 people.

Comment

Working...
                      X