Greek with italian wife, wanting to build an oven in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek with italian wife, wanting to build an oven in Toronto

Dont even know where to start. have a big backyard in the city. really want to build one of these ovens as my friend has one however his is a steel wood burning oven he bought from some italian manufacturer, and the food is amazing in it.

where do i begin?
    the labor shouldnt be an issue as my friends and I are pretty good DYI's, seen all of the designs on here and plans.

looking for some advice, pretty much anything. Do's, donts', etc.

Re: Greek with italian wife, wanting to build an oven in Toronto

Welcome! Start by downloading the plans:
    Instruction Manuals & e-Books :: Forno Bravo Store
    Then read all the threads here till you get dizzy...

Really there are a lot of variations, but the plans are pretty good.

Then you shoud go visit CanuckJim (a member here in the Toronto Area) during "Doors Open Ontario"

See his invite here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f32/...tion-2298.html

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hi Stanton and welcome.
      I agree with Drake. Do your research here and end up either decided or confused through information overload.
      There are a multitude of oven designs and a million ideas to sort through. I know, I went through it all a couple of months ago and now am enjoying my oven. I even have 2 more to make now as a result - serves my right but they're for family members.
      All the best with your venture and come back with some questions, ideas or suggestion worthy of replies. A few pics wouldn't go astray either as you progress.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Stanton,

Welcome! You have definately come to the right place. The knowledge and generosity of the forum members will amaze you. I am entering week 10 of my build - the oven is done and I am just finishing the roof of the enclosure. I have also built an outdoor kitchen with grill, side burners and sink. No way would I have made it this far without the guidance and encouragment of the forum members.

Best of luck,

Sharon

Comment

I am building an outdoor kitchen ( or wanting to build one as well), will post pic.

Comment

I want to incorporate it into an outdoor kithcen with a LAZY MAN built in bbq and side burner, stainless steel counter with built in sink, running hot and cold water and misting system around both levels.

this is where i want to put it. i am building a deck off the house in that first level or armor stone, than was thinking of stamped concrete on the second level where tha arrow is pointing and make that entire level an outdoor kitchen.

Comment

Wow, another Torontonian! Pretty soon we'll have a quorum to charter a Forno Bravo GTA chapter

Where are you, Santon? I live in the west end - Old Mill/Bloor West Village. I am of Italian extraction (father Siciliano, mother Napoletana). My daughter spent the summer in Greece (Santorini) two years ago, and announced last night that she would like to go back and live there. Sounds like we have a lot in common.

By all means take heed of Drake's advice and get in touch with CanuckJim. If you can make it to the open house this weekend I'll probably see you there. If not, contact Jim anyway - he has been very generous with his time and helpful to people who want to see and discuss his operation.

Good luck!
              Un amico degli amici.

Comment

I am at Islington/401 area. No chance I make it to the open house. two young kids and not enough weekends in the summer. we just moved into our house, so the project isnt in full production. goign to build the deck first off of the house before mid sept, and maybe get a foundation down prior to winter for the outddor kitchen. do you have an oven? sourced at firebricks for $1.50 each, for new ones locally. for some reason i thought they were alot more expensive than that. how many bricks does the bigger of the two ovens need that is in the download? I just downloaded it however havent gone through it yet.

Comment

Santon,

I'm in Prince Albert, just south of Port Perry, north of Oshawa. It's not necessary to show for the Doors Open event. If you'd like to have a look at my oven, give me a call when your schedule allows. Just send me an email or private message via the forum, and I'll get back to you with my number.

You can have a quick look at :: Mary G's Artisan Breads :: Traditional wood-fired brick-oven breads made to uncompromising gourmet standards.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find everything you need here.

Jim
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
                  X