X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl
    replied
    Re: Another UK oven started

We had a laugh with the hand prints - that's mine, my wife's and the dog's ... Sadly they'll get covered up when I do the floor for the summer house - we'll have to find somewhere else to add them.

Got some more done today - nearly at the top of the wall now. I've built a little brick box to put my pyrometer in, and I think this will probably mark the top of the wall. Should put the hearth about hip height, which sounds about right to me.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Just looking at your pictures today.

And I noticed the hand prints in the concrete.

That is really cool, and makes it so personable in my mind.

So I think now I'm gonna have everyone who lends a hand with building the oven stamp their hand print where it becomes part of the ending design.

BTW I love the look of the pedestal.

Keep going!

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    replied

A bit more progress - more wall built and some of the support blocks now in. I'll add more of these as it grows taller.

I plan to fill the empty cores of the blocks (and the middle triangle) with poured concrete, and tie the hearth slab into these with rebar. This should mean that the slab is supported by the middle support columns, and the outer rubble wall shouldn't have to take too much weight.

This is really slow work - like a very heavy jigsaw puzzle... Every block I have that doesn't span the wall width (like the big pale one on the far right of the photo) has a chunk of breezeblock behind it, and is capped with a flat stone that does span the wall width. I'm hoping this will give me more stablility than just throwing it all together any old how. I must remember to leave room for the temperature module I've got it my bits box - I plan to use a few thermocouples in this oven (also found in my bits box - makes me glad I'm such a horder... )

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Looking good!

Keep it up.

I'll post my pics sometime today of the progress made yesterday.

I used recycled concrete blocks!

Free is so nice.

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    replied

Thanks guys - feels good to have started this after a lot of procrastination... Got some more done today - the walls have started to go up. I'm making them out of recycled concrete chunks and rockery stone - I'll have a large pier in the middle for structural support as I don't want to rely on the cobbled together walls for strength!

Hoping to get more done tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Welcome Carl,
    you can build a very economical oven that will do a fabulous job.
    Mine cost me a little more than I had initially thought, but then again I didn't do a cost analysis. I used recycled fire bricks but the rest of the gear needs to be new, sand, cement, insulation etc etc.
    Go for it and enjoy. They are great once you get them done.
    Keep the pics up for all to share

Neill

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Great!

Im hoping to do some concrete work this weekend. And speaking of recycled.. I scored some used concrete blocks and a bunch of new red floor tiles 6x6. Im only going to pour a footing, not a whole slab, because I want save a bit of dough, and eventually run pavers in the whole area.

Good start man! Take lots of pictures!

I did post an Excel Spreadsheet in another spread if you want to keep track of expenses.
    Here is the link. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/e...xcel-2425.html
    I'm on a tight budget too. 5 children at home will do that to you!

Dave
    Last edited by asudavew; 08-24-2007, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Carl
    started a topic Another UK oven started

Another UK oven started

I've been reading this forum for a while now to get some ideas and inspiration, and I've finally got round to starting my oven. I still haven't decided how I'll build the dome, but am cracking on anyhow.

Here's the slab poured, ready to start building:

I'll be building the walls from scrap concrete from a demolished garden wall, apart from the front where I'll be using some free rockery stones that I've scavenged off freecycle. I don't have a lot of cash to spend on my oven, and I'm trying to use recycled materials as much as possible. Good for the environment, and my wallet! The circular walls are about 60" in diameter - I only want a fairly small oven, so I hope this is enough space.

My family think I'm nuts ("why not just have a BBQ?"), but that only spurs me on...

Since I'm on a budget, this project's called 'Forno Economico'... I'm also keeping track of it all here too: Forno Economico

Thanks everyone for your contributions to this forum - you're a continual source of information and inspiration.
Working...
X