My first oven is a success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first oven is a success

My name is Tim and I'm from western NY state. Ive been looking at several web sites for a couple months now and decided to try an oven. Unfortunatly I didnt have the time or the finaces for one of the very nice ovens Ive seen on this site. Then I saw the stacked brick oven that was featured on your page called one hour oven.I had a bunch of old bricks laying around so I gave it a try. I couldnt get them to stack well so I bought 200 bricks 30 fire bricks for the floor, 4 24x24 pavers. and some concrete blocks to ring it up so I wouldnt have to cook on my knees.

I fisrst leveled an area and stacked 4 layers of concrete blocks for a base. I then put the pavers on top to create a 4 ft square platform. the fire bricks were then places on the pavers to form the floor. then I stacke bricks oround the fire bricks to a hight of 16 inches. then I put bricks across the top supported by some angle iron that I had laying around.I then took the old bricks and stacked them around the new ones to create a double layer of brick on all sides and the top.

So far we have cooked pizza in it 4 times and it works very well. I tried some bread andit did cook but the oven seems to cool fairly quickly so I amd going to have to add some insulation around it.

Thanks for all the ideas My family and I plan on hving pizza every Sat till it snows.

Tim

Re: My first oven is a success

Show some photos of your oven fired up.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyNY View Post
      Then I saw the stacked brick oven that was featured on your page called one hour oven.
      I looked all over Forno Bravo and couldn't find a "One Hour Oven". After a quick Google search I found this: The 1-Hour Brick Oven

Is this the type of oven you built? As Acoma mentioned, post some pictures! Looks like a fun project.

Ken
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thats the one. I dont know how to post pics to this forum.

Tim

Comment

tim,

Posting is pretty easy. Go to the photo gallery and select post photos.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I have seen the 1 hour oven on that website and always thought it was a great idea - certainly wouldn't have the longevity of a Pompeii oven, but for occasional use it seems like a pretty sound design.

One thing it did point out to me is that we all probably obsess about cracks too much. The 1 hour oven is by definition not mortared or sealed in any way, yet it still works!
            "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

This one hour oven is great for college frat parties, burning man, beach gatherings, etc., where crowds would gather and then disperse. For the homeowner that wants character, go with FB., and build one

Acoma

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I was able to post a picture in completed ovens called stackedbrick oven. my 2 sons are posing with the first fire.

Tim

Comment

Tim, how long to make it? That is awesome to make something that you can use so quickly. Great work. Are you going to make a larger one now, or would this be it?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Way to go Tim,

What a great idea. We get a number of requests for exactly this type of oven -- and I have never known what to say.

We would be happy to host plans and ideas that a weekend builder can do -- put it up, have a great party, and take it down when you are ready. FB could host plans and the discussion board. I think this is part of a spectrum from quick to craftsman.

If we have volunteers, there could be a 1-hour set of plans as an FB e-book.

What do you think?
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James -

On another thread I had mentioned the idea of a FB "convention" (no silly hats) where we might do an oven build, exchange recipes, drink wine, and eat pizza. This might be the perfect time to plan and execute a non-mortared oven and record it for an e-book. I am on the East Coast, but it strikes me that a Napa/Sonoma winery might see hosting something like this as a great way to promote their wine to a group of people who already exhibit exquisite taste! I would certainly make the trip for such a gathering.

I think that making it out of the materials already on the Pompeii list would be ideal so that a builder could make the 1 hour oven, enjoy it, and then use the material for the Pompeii.
                      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

This sounds like a great idea, as last weekend my fiance and I hired a mobile oven for our engagement party and had about 70 people there for pizza and I am absolutely hooked on brick/woodfired ovens. But I don't plan on building a permanent one as we will be moving house in less than a year and our place will probably be demolished by the next owner.

I am already thinking about the pile of spare pavers at the back of my shed and making something along these lines. How did you hold the roof up on your oven? I see on the one hour oven page that he has changed the roof to a piece of refractory that he has cast.
                        Last edited by ausdb; 04-28-2008, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                          I looked all over Forno Bravo and couldn't find a "One Hour Oven". After a quick Google search I found this: The 1-Hour Brick Oven

Ken

Interesting but that link did not work...anyone have an alternative reference to it?

thanks
                          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

The guy changed his directory around. Here's a good link:

The 1-Hour Brick Oven
                            Ken H. - Kentucky
                            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I used some angle iron from a job that I did to hold the roof up.

I am planning on rebuilding the oven this summer with a few modifications.
                              I will take a bunch of pics and try to write something up for the forum
                              if there is interest

Tim

Comment

Working...
                              X