Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, time to say hello

Hello all,
    My name is George, (gjbingham). I saw James' introduction and felt that I should post just because I lurk around the boards whenever I can get my wife off the computer and because I'm asking questions without a proper introduction.
    I'm a retired Navy Dentist (USN-ret), served all over the world over 24 years, and did two tours, 5 years total, at a base called Sigonella, just outside of Catania, Sicily, Italy. What a great experience it was. The Italians serve the best food in the world and present it in the most relaxed and enjoyable ways. I will always remember the most fantatstic yet very simlple meals and make them memories that can last for years. Pizza ovens can be found everywhere in Sicily and I enjoyed the best and most unusual pizzas you can imagine while there. Pizza Diavola was my favorite, spicey sausage!! Also, we used to party at a friends house who had an oven in his back yard and make great pizzas enjoy the fine summer Mediteranean nights.
    Like James, I took a liking to the wines, and once back to the states, planted a pinot noir vineyard in NW WA State. Unfortunately, I was shipped to mainland Japan and spent two years there dreaming of good pizza and good wines. I ended up marrying my beatiful wife and had my first child, a gorgeous girl at the age of 47, (oh shit, my wife just reminded me that I was 48 when I got married and had the baby. 'Aint love grand???) retired from the Navy, planted a new, smaller vineyard in SW WA State. I roast my own coffee, make my own wine, landscaped the yard and re-finished the deck. Nothing left to do but build the oven that I've been thinking about for the past 15 years or so.
    I poured the concrete patio for the oven/bbq about a month ago, stacked my concrete block base (over and over) for a week or so and poured the concrete cores yesterday.
    I'm working on the framing for the hearth now and will post pics in the near future. Thanks all for your help and suggestions, past present and future.
    Cheers!
    GJBingham
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Re: OK, time to say hello

George, welcome from another evergreen state brick oven nut. I believe you are the second to identify yourself as a retired navy brick oven builder in the area, Gareth in Seabeck is also working on an oven. Nice to have "nothing left to do" besides building the oven - you'll be done in no time then!

Marc

Comment

Hello Guys,
      I am new as well in this forum. I am Italian (Southern) and living in Minneosta since 1998. I never thought about wood oven because of the weather here...but then I saw a colleague of mine who had one and suddendly I decided to follow him! Now I am in the planning process...building a patio and then next week I will start the foundation ..if the weather allows....talk to youi soon, ciao Carlo
      Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Hi George!

First off, thank you for your service to our country!

Can't wait to see your stand and framing pictures. Feel free to ask lots of questions!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Welcome aboard.

Don't forget pictures... Most of us are picture junkies.
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I'll post pics on the pompeii oven category. Thanks all for the welcome.
            GJB
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
            X