• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's Time to Start

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
    1. in the fourth row over the angle bar
    R.C.,
    Here's a thought. I put my angle iron over the fifth row so the door is as tall as the the ceiling of my storage. I don't have to bend down as far. Also reduces (but doesn't eliminate) the chance of me hitting my head when getting in there. I just set the angle iron on top of the plywood form for the hearth. Then there are no bricks on top of it to fill.
    Again, just a thought.

dusty

Comment

Oh.. and btw, I printed a few of those pics taken from your backyard towards the lake, with the puffy clouds and pier cabana. Needed to send some postcards. Hope you don't mind.

dusty

Comment

Dave
        I was talking about the blocks over the opening in front, I'm planning on doing the every other hole on the rest of the stand. But still wondering about the front "lintel" (if that is the right term)
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Dusty
          We enjoy the view so print away. The sunset in the winter is extremely gorgeous, it's like a painting. I've thought about 5 rows of brick but I am concern about how high it eventually will be.
          Anyone care to tell me how much higher there top is versus the hearth?
          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I don't think I explained it right. I mean keep the hearth height the same, but make the door into the entry taller by moving the "lentel" up to the fifth row. There would then be no cinder blocks on top of the lentel, just the hearth.Way different than what the plans suggest, but works just the same.

dusty

Comment

If I had to do it over again - I would not put in a lintel - I'd let the hearth pour and rebar support the opening....

Christo
              My oven progress -
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
              sigpic

Comment

I agree - it has always seemed to me unnecessary to have a row of blocks here - to do exactly what I wonder? Eliminate it and you'll end up with easier access to your storage area and save $ on blocks and angle iron.

Comment

This seems like a hint to James for updating front access.
                  RC (Ricky) Lake, go to my Picasa and you will see an example of cells filled with cement and stuffed with bags. Did you level your forms before doing your foundation, it looks sloped?
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
                    I agree - it has always seemed to me unnecessary to have a row of blocks here. Eliminate it and you'll end up with easier access to your storage area
                    Yea...that's what I meant. Easier access AND bump your head less.

dusty

Comment

I've thought about it overnight and eliminating the "lentil" makes a lot of sense to me. I think I'll reinforce the hearth in that area with extra rebar and will pour the cement in the cells by the openings when I pour the hearth. Thanks for the insight.
                      RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

Actually, RC, I did use the lentel. I just put it at the top of the storage door instead of one brick below it. Maybe you don't need it at all, but I am no engineer and didn't want to take any chances. I am pretty sure though ,that as is , I could park my truck up there - no problem.

dusty

Comment

I finished with the block stand and the inside form, I went with a H design and will post a picture when my wife gets back with the camera. Nothing now going on because of the rain.
                          We were in Dallas over the last weekend helping my daughter move into her house and close by was Jimmy's Food Store on Bryan and was able to purchase flour- tipo 00 for pizza made by Molino di Borgo S.Dalmazzo and San Marzano tomatoes, so I was pleased. I'm not sure of the quality, it's not Caputo flour but is Milano and I'm not sure about the DOP on the tomatoes. I'm planning on starting from scratch making a pizza even if it is cooked in the oven
                          RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

I've started my shopping list for the dome construction, hoping to find everything in Dallas. I was able to find someone to order Heat Stop 50 for me, most wanted to sell the wet mix. I got two bags ordered for $50 each and firebricks at $1.02 so happy with that. Found places for vermiculite and kaowool as well at good prices - the price range does vary greatly between vendors/products. I do have questions and would like your advice.

1. I'm doing a 42" with 20" dome - will 200 bricks be sufficient?
                            2. Is two bags of HS50 enough?
                            3. What coarse vermiculite is best, fine, medium, coarse, or extra course?
                            4. I could get 2" Kaowool 6# for $1.85/sf or 8# for $2.22/sf, I assuming the heavier the better but I'm not sure. What is the 6 pound or 8 pound related to, it can't be the sf or a 50sf box would be 300-400 pounds.

NOTE THIS IS AN UPDATE FROM 2/25/2008
                            I bought 260 firebricks and I have 1/2 brick left, I probably wasted 10 mainly in the arch/vent
                            I have almost finished my third bag of Heat Stop 50 and I've bevel cut most of my bricks
                            Last edited by RCLake; 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM. Reason: Updating
                            RCLake

Oven Thread

Comment

RC, my answer, and they may vary:
                              1: 200 will not be enough, maybe 75 good ones more.
                              2: Get 1-3 more, depending on whether you will cover the dome with cladding.
                              3: Don't know yet.
                              4: I will go with 2 of the 1"x24"x25' at #8.
                              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

RC,

I am building a 42". I have already bought 225 brick and I will need more. My approach has me wasting quite a bit of brick though. 2 bags of heat stop will not be enough. I bought one and went through it in a heart beat. Since then, I've been "rolling my own", so I couldn't tell you where I'm going to end up at. I can't answer questions 3 or 4. I went with the 8# thinking it would be better. And for the little delta in price, what's the harm.

Les...
                                Check out my pictures here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X