Hi from Massachusetts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Massachusetts

Hey everyone. I recently decided that i want to make a pizza oven. Its winter here up north so i'm probably going to start next summer. Plus i can use the time to do some planning and saving. Im planning on using the pompei oven plans. Hopefully i'll have enough saved to start the project next summer.

Re: Hi from Massachusetts

Hi Kibarn,

You found the right place! Dig in and start going through the plans and the posts on the forum. There's an unbelievable amount of accumulated knowledge available here.

Feel free to ask questions. When you start building, be sure to take lots of photos to share.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hi kibarn, welcome to the forum................a winter of research and planning will stand you in good stead when it comes to the 'big build'. I bet come the warmer weather you will be raring to go.

inishta

Comment

Hi Kibarn,
        What part of Mass. are you in? (East, west or central) I'm just north of Boston.
        Rick
        View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

I live in Eastern Mass.

Comment

Oventhusiast, do you know where i can buy firebricks in the Boston Area? Plus, how expensive would they be? I'm trying to calculate the cost before i begin the actual build.

Comment

Hi Kibarn,
              Welcome aboard. As I've written before, winter is a great time to start use the materials list from the Pompeii oven plans and find all your local resources for procuring the material. Keep track of costs for each retailer, as there can be pretty big variations in pricing. Once you're ready to build, you know how and where to get your hands on everything you need, which can really slow you down if you are less prepared (like me).

Again, welcome!
              George
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hi Kibarn,
                I got my firebrick from a masonry supply business in Malden, MA. I paid about $1.50 a brick. I could have saved some $ if I bought from the local lumber yard, but the quality of the less expensive bricks was horrible. I did however, get a good deal on vermiculite. I paid $20. a bag for 6 cu. ft. from a greenhouse supply in Tewksbury, MA. You should also keep checking the local Craigslist for 'free' stuff. After I built my block stand, I saw ads on there for free cement blocks. I could have saved a few bucks there if my timing was better. Keep checking that sight and you may be able to 'stockpile' some supplies before you build. There's also a member on the forum from NH (sorry, but I forget who it is) who got Heat Stop 50 for about $25. a bag. I paid $52 and some others paid much more.
                If you've got the time, make a list of suppliers to call for pricing. You'll find the prices for these supplies vary quite a bit!
                Rick
                View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Thank for the info. I'll be sure to start calling for prices soon.

P.S. i think i know which masonry supply you're talking about, i'll make sure to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                  X