Hi from Moruya in SE Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Moruya in SE Australia

Hi everybody. We live on a few acres, 10km from the coast in a rural hamlet in South east NSW Australia. We often disturb kangaroos when we go for an evening stroll and we are busily regenerating previously cleared vegetation.
    I can't quite remember how I got inspired to build a brick oven but my daughter and her husband got wind of my intentions and bought me a 1 day course on building brick ovens and I'm off and running.
    There is a tradition in our town that if someone has a go at building something then all sorts of people volunteer to help (my wife and I built our house). Anyway the brick oven has been an extraordinary magnet to all sorts of people from DIY crazies to a professional bricky, we are planning several official openings and a mate is even composing some original music to be played by his jazz quartet.
    All of this has happened before we've finished the base.

It might be hard for others to understand the Aussie sense of humour but the whole operation is being undertaken in a spirit of irreverent fun.

Re: Hi from Moruya in SE Australia

I don't know about the Aussie sense of humour, but composing music for the opening before the base is finished makes me think you'll have a great deal of fun with your project.

So keep up the good work, I look forward to reading about your progress!
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Sounds cool Nokka,
      Got any pics of the crew working on the oven?
      George
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hi George,

Yep, I'm taking plenty of pics - just need to find out how to post them.

will work on it this arvo if the cricket gets boring

cheers
        Noka

Comment

Noka,

To post pics, hit the post reply tab just above this quick reply box. It takes you to a different page with a text box like this for your comments and below it is a tab that says "manage your attachements", which brings up a pop-up window. If you have a pop-up blocker on your computer, you may have to hold down your Ctrl key to bring it up.

From there you can upload pics from your computer. I recommend resizing the pics down to 60% with a photo editing program because most of today's digital cameras produce an image too large to upload.

Hope that helps.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a go as soon as i've shrunk the photos

Comment

Hi Nokka.....and welcome

great you've got some enthusiasm from others......and all in the fun Oz way.

I think we all share a common sense of enthusiasm and humour on here around such a fun thing. Its cool how addictive and fun it is in one. I'm currently helping my mate (Pete) build his oven, its been great to help him with what I have learnt from mine - besides he brings out plenty of Jack Daniels/Jim Beam or Beer to keep me enthused after the work.- just got the dome up last weekend.

bring on your pics - would love to see them.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi bacterium,

and hi to Frances too, did not mean to ignore your reply - just ignorance of how forums wrk

I'm working on the photos, my mate Kinko came around for a BBQ and to help with the top slab so got a bit distracted. Been traveling around a bit too so will serious about posting them rsn

It is all good fun eh?

Nokka

Comment

Working...
                X