new user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new user

I'm a new member from wombarra, NSW, I'm in the final stages of completing my pompei oven. The project has been going on for 6 months, I don't know if I'm excited or over the whole thing, anyway all that is left to do is the final mortar on top of the vermiculite cover, ant suggestions on applying or ratio of sand cement or any nifty little tricks. Cheers

Re: new user

I can relate to the sentiment. Our house has been under construction for 3 months, and I'm losing my desire to care. We just want it finished. :-)

The good news is that it will really cook when you are done. You will love it.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Tommo, you need to focus on the next step to be done, or to channel the exhaustion of the never ending dome to "Wow, 3 courses left, HA! Trust me, I have that feeling working in the 20-30's in a tight tent, then going outside to modify a cut. I have had six months on my project too, 3 months of site prep, and that is work!

As for you building your oven and now, to finally share is odd. Why did you not share the process of development? That could have helped you as well in the emotional factor, as well as the ideas to modify, or to increase momentum. I would like to get some visuals of where you are at. Do you have a digital camera? Do you know how to load images?
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Sounds like you are doing the equivalent of an igloo finish with stucco or plaster, correct??? If you do a google search for stucco, you will find the sand/cement mix that you are looking for. Otherwise, a bit more information about what you are planning would help.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thank you all for your words I feel that completion is near and looking forward to cooking, No I don't know how to download photos as yet, but as soon as I work it out the photos will be posted. The neighbourhood is waiting with great anticipation for the first cook up, the wine will be flowing, cheers.

Comment

There you go tommo.....................

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/u...otos-3241.html

Comment

Onya Tommo, Wombarra looks like a sweet location. We're near Bundaberg, but even here is getting built out. We're headed back to FNQ eh. Stuffit.
              Mate, what took you so long to link with FB? You can rely on these fellers for help. They're bloody magic. (Just watch that GJBingham bloke - he's got a twisted side, hahaha. )

I'm a Newbie, and obviously no Great (or Lesser, even) Guru. I'm using lime:cement:sand, 1:2:6 over barbed and bird wire reo. Will probly broom-finish it with an off-white cement:sand slurry, 1:1, maybe tinted with left-over grout.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, yes Tommo, the cooking versatility will exceed your wildest dreams. I just checked oven temp, and 54 hrs since last firing, it reads from 102-123C (sole to dome). Air temp is around 25C.
              Now I don't know if that performance is good or bad, but the goat we slow-cooked in the camp oven last night was to die for. (The vegies were crap - my fault. "Undercooked" would be a polite description. Not good with eggplant'n pumpkin.)
              Hang in there Tommo - ecstasy awaits.
              Jeff the Luddite.
              ps. James, I took 3 years to build our first home: be patient Lad. (Next one will be done by builders eh. Strewth, you've gotter laugh : cryin's no good. jh

Comment

Jeff,
                Goat but no wallabie? Crikie!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

GJB,
                  I may well be a Luddite, but you Sir, may well pass as a Phillistine!
                  Kangaroo, then Wallaby! Indeed!
                  So when did you last scoff down a Bald Eagle at Thanksgiving?
                  To eat your National Thingy is unimaginable: rinse your mouth.
                  Now rinse again. Good, very good.

Mate, in light of recent misunderstandings , I'd best chuck in a disclaimer.

WFO Purists, please don't take these last few posts seriously. gjbingham is at least as sane as any other dolt who builds earthen ovens.
                  However I must admit that his fantasies re eating national emblems remains a tad disturbing.
                  Reluctantly,
                  Ite the Ludd Jeff.

Comment

I hear eagle and wallabie taste similar......like chicken

Sorry guys, had to throw in my sick humor

RT

Comment

come to think of it...the bald eagle was just taken off the endangered species list.....Hmmmm....Deep fried or BBQ'ed
                      Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Re:greetins jeff

Thanks for your message and formula, the goat sounds great, one of my favourite meats, the project has taken some time mainly due to all the rainy days we've had down here , by the way have the floods affected you in anyway? So I plan to finish this oven in a day or two, do the curing process and start eating, the faithful helpers have all put their orders in and are waiting patiently. Yes Wombarra has become crowded and overpriced, today the traffic along the coast road is bumper to bumper the beaches and picnic spots full, but by tomorrow all the tourists will be gone, cheers Jeff I'll give a posting re the rendering, shouldn't be a problem looks like this will be the easiest part of the whole process. Regards Tommo.

Comment

Sorry to turn your appetite off Jeffy. Is a crock on the bad list too?
                          GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                          X