New User, Old Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User, Old Oven

I am a contractor in the process of a remodel to an old bakery, in operation late 1800's to early 1900's. When the owner purchased the bldg, the back section was collapsed and upon clearing site to rebuild found a brick oven that was used for the bread bakery. he had it cosmetically repaired and plans on highlighting it in the restaurant he is putting in the building. I am looking for any info on this oven style I can find. I am not sure, but may be a type of gueulard oven. It also has a rotary table inside that was driven by large pulleys and belts and was variable speed by moving the belt on tapered wooden rollers. I am attaching pics and would appreciate any info anyone has or where to find.

Re: New User, Old Oven

Hi!

I knew I'd seen something like that before! Maybe the guys in this thread can help you out.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

I looks like the hearth stones are missing.

--mr.jim
      --mr.jim
      ---------------------------------------------------------------
      The real art of conversation is not only to say the correct thing at the right time, but also to leave
      unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yep hearth stones are missing bu the gear head in me is saying take looks of pictures of the gear works and then tear it apart. Carefully sand it and then if I was doing it 30 years ago I would put a heavy coat of Rustoleum on it. Today , if I was not concerned with The Antiques Road Show, I would get the metal, where applicable (not the gears) powdered coated. Leather belts can still be found. nice find worth the time to restore. If it is not well insulated and even if it is it will be a real tree burner!

Keep us posted on the progress

Comment

Working...
        X