Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hello, all. I've been lurking in the dark for several weeks, absorbing a tremendous amount of information while developing ideas. This is an impressive forum. Hats off to everyone.

I live in middle of Michigan, where we are still 15 inches under snow (just 2 more today). When/if Spring arrives, I plan to start my own WFO.

I have no construction experience, so this should be interesting. I am motivated by the complete absence of a decent pizza within 50 miles!

There is so much info within these postings, that it can be a little over whelming. It is almost too much to sift through.

I look forward to many future discussions.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Re: Hello

Mfiore,

Welcome. I"m south of you in Cincinnati. I started my foundation last fall and hope to start/finishe the oven this spring.

Be sure to check/search the foundation sections given your location/soil conditions. A lot of guys are building in warmer climates and don't have to worry about the frost line.

You'll love this site - very supportative for our "obsession."

thebadger

Comment

Welcome Mfoire. Sounds like you found the right place. And don't worry about the lack of constuction experiece. Download the plans, and ask plenty of questions here. I have recieved great advice every time I have needed it. Now that my oven is done, I may even be able to give some for a change.

dusty

Comment

Easy building. Just takes time and motivation. Nothing hard about it, except for the occasional picking up 80 LB bags of concrete, mixing it, and pouring it. One day at a time. Baby steps, little by little.....suddenly, you have an oven.

Welcome!
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Thanks, everyone. This is clearly the best resource available on the subject. I've already learned a ton. I wish I had something like this when I built my wine cellar a few years ago!

Badger, thanks for the info about the foundation. I've read most of the threads, including your older ones. Do you have any photos of your foundation? This still seems to be an area of great controversy.

Any other considerations I need to make for a harsh climate WFO?
          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
          My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

I am not expert my any means. I think the founation issue has to do a lot with your local soil conditions. Mine is clay which I think is the worst. Anyway, I went below my frost line and put in a footer. I then stacked my blocks on that (4 courses below ground and 4 courses above ground). I then poured every core with concrete which I know is overkill. I would check around for your area and see what the professionals recommend. My guess is you'll want to dig down past your frost line or account for it somehow.

Good luck.
            Dick

The picture shows the blocks in place while were backfilling/drystacking.

Comment

mfiore,
              Wine cellar?? I'd love to see pics. Built into your existing house or dug into the ground?
              GJBingham

-

Comment

Dick,

Thanks for the photo. Did you pour a concrete floor for the wood storage area below? If so, is there an advantage of a blocked footing over a poured footing?
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                  mfiore,
                  Wine cellar?? I'd love to see pics. Built into your existing house or dug into the ground?
                  George, nothing as cool as that. In this area of Michigan, almost all homes have a full basement. I built a wine cellar in a corner of the basement. It really just consisted of basic framing, super insulation, drywall, tile, wine racks. I'll send photos as soon as I can figure out how.

I see you grow grapes in WA. What varietals?
                  Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                  My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

Funny you should ask. I just finished the interior wood storage floor today. I thought about pouring a concrete slab but since it was inside and would be filled with wood I just decided to level it off and installed 12x12 concrete paver stones. I'm planning on putting a door on the wood storage opening anyway.

I think the pavers only costed about 20 bucks.

Thanks
                    Dick

Comment

Mfiore,
                      Pinot Noir and Muller Thurgau right now. I'm really limited on space. Only 50 vines at this location. I'd love to do more, but vineyards are hard work once you get past a quarter acre or so.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Mfiore, I am glad to see you aboard. I expect to see you attach this with as much passion as possible. We know that your dreams of an awesome oven can happen. I had zero skills on this subject when I started, but like you, I obsorbed threads of info, and I wrote notes, asked questions, and planned, planned, planned. Upon each stage, I planned, worked carefully, stepped back to be sure, then if I hit a hurdle, I jumped over it and saw the next stage. Do not question your work, our skills and passion show all over! Good luck.
                        Robert
                        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Robert,
                          Thanks for the encouragement! I've been reading these threads for months. I can guarantee I'll have plenty of questions once the process begins (ground is still snow covered here!). Thanks in advance for your help
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore...sorry you got spammed by China...maybe the'll be sending ovens to Michigan soon....

Welcome aboard....you can already find all the info you need here on FB.

And after that there are plenty of forum friends to help with opinions....

My first pizza was motivated by being in Copper Harbor (1978) and I learned to make it in a 550 degree oven.... worked, but the WFO is a whole different experience.

Go for it...another Michigan oven!
                            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                            X