Hello from California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hello from California

Do I just lay the board on the hearth slab, and the weight of the oven holds it down, or do I need to attach it to the slab? and if so, in what manner?
    I laid my insulating boards down into the wet concrete of my support slab: This way you don't have to worry about any slight out-of-flat situation and wobbling.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I used mortar to put my 3" insulation boards down, I knew the weight would keep them in place but I didn't want any movement when I started. I put my floor down on a fireclay/sand slurry and at times I wish I would have placed them on refractory mortar as well, especially the entrance way.
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

I did the same as you RC.
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaJNKY View Post
          So far I have dug out a 80" x 94" x 6" area for the foundation. Tomorrow the majority of the items listed on the "Materials needed" page, will be delivered to my house, and I will start the forms for the foundation. Getting Closer!
          Wow! You don't mess around. I see the barb is buried deep already. Wecome. You are going to like it here. It seems that folks wacky enough to seek out and build a wood fired oven tend to stand out from the rest of humanity...in a good way. They seem to be more patient and friendly. I have found this to be a cool, happy place where folks are glad to share knowledge.

Don't forget to tell George you hail from the garlic capital of the world. Gotta show that civic pride!

dusty

Comment

OK,
            So next time down, I'll slow down and take the exit and try the garlic. I've got three books on garlic recipies alone.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George, if you ever go to S.F. you MUST stop at the Stinky Rose. The entire menu surrounds garlic, and to me, is one of the best restaurants I have ever been to in my life.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Thanks Robert,
                I'll keep that one in my book. We did the road trip last summer. Gas prices are up 33% since then. I guess that's only $150 - $200, round trip, but it makes the trip less and less afordable as the prices go up (and less enjoyable with a 1, 6, and 8 YO child in the car with you). I love San Francisco. Hell, I love CA. I lived there almost 10 years. I just can't deal with the lifestyle. Great state, but many undesireable attachments go along with living there.

Anyway, back to garlic - any specialties that you recommend at the Stinky Rose? We eat at a place in town that serves whole broiled garlic cloves with foccia bread, EVOO w/ balsamic vinegar, and minced olives. You can find me in a stupor back in the corner with oil dripping off my smiling lips, a glazed look in my eyes.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I always eat the ribs, my wife has the chicken. They used to have Mac and Cheese, ohhh that was good. Stupid that they took it off the menu. Also, they heat up tons of garlic in a sauce that you spread on bread, that is superb too.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

You guys are making me hungry with all that stinky rose talk. I've been to the city many times, but have never eaten at the stinky rose. I will have to look it up. By the way, Robert, thanks for posting the photos of your WFO. I love the work you did on it. Hopefully I can make mine look as good as yours.
                    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

The Stinky Rose is towards the Top of China Town.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

This weekend, I borrowed my buddies Rotory hammer, (What a great tool) to drill the holes into the slab. I drilled in about 4", and set the rebar that I had previously not done. Now I feel like the stand will be secure. I cut the rebar long enough to tie into the hearth slab that I hope to pour within the next 2-3weeks.

I also mortared in the first row of cinder block. The most challenging part of the job so far, was getting the cinder block stand squared.

I also had to put thicker mortar in various places, thanks to my not so level slab. I hope the uneven mortar does not cause future problems.
                        "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

PizzaJNKY..........the first row wil be fine. I think you should start your own thread on the build. You can get instant feedback and advice, post photos and all sorts of benefits. Pompeii oven construction may be a good place to put it.

Comment

Working...
                          X