Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK oven gets the "Go ahead, you are clear to commence building..."

Hi all,

Actually my little project has been some time in the planning, and as the following photos will testify, it's been some time to get this 'far'.

Bascially I removed a garden shed, and wanted to build the oven and build-in some storage areas to the left and right of the oven.

I prepped the ground and poured about 4" of concrete in the ground. It wasn't terribly level, but hey...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01972 (Small).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	312830

Re: UK oven gets the "Go ahead, you are clear to commence building..."

Looks like a bomb site, eh?

Not sure if I can put more than one pic in a post, I'll try.

Here are a few more:

Comment

ok, that worked, so here are the others I have.

Comment

And that's about it for now.

I'm going o put a hardwood decking on the two storage reas and create an arch on the front of the middel wood storage area.

I'm part way through doing the patio in front of the oven.

As for the oven, I'm planning on following a guy from Aus's plans for an oven based on using firebricks.

More to follow.

P de D.

Comment

P de D,
          Great start! Nice brickwork! I'm saving mine for the end, (I hope to die or move before I actually have to do it).
          Keep posting. We'll keep cheering!
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I like the bricks, too. It'll tie in well with the wall on the right of the garden.

Nice layout you've got there.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Thank you. It's a nice little corner plot, isn't it?

Today I have begun to put the wood covering on top of the left hand storage space. It's decking, with grooves, but I'm using it smooth side up as noone's going to be walking on it, and I prefer it for looks.

It's going to be used for plates/drinks etc, anyway. Looks nice, I think it's iroko. Fine timber.

Step after this is to finish the patio area and do the brick arch at the front of the main storage area.

It's a long old slog this build.

P de D

Comment

Nice layout. My intention is to build something with a similar design, but use one of the side bits to build a BBQ and the other as a preparation area. The BBQ would be fitted with a chimney too so would have a similar sort of design to the oven.

Detailed plans for this exist only in my head so far, though I have started to pick up some bits and pieces for it.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and hope to get some further inspiration.
                Last edited by Faz; 03-30-2008, 11:22 AM. Reason: forgot to include all the things I wanted to say!

Comment

Yeah, some great ideas there (bbq/ built-in hob etc.). Of course there's only so much money to go around/ be spent.

Personally, I have found that to get this far has taken waaaaaay more than I had anticipated. I have under-budgetted by easily 60-70%.

It looks like I will get the patio finished, and the decking over the storage areas plus a small amount of brickwork at the front of the centre piece and have to call it a day for a while.

This means that the oven ITSELF, the Jewel in the Crown, will certainly be delayed.

Shoud serve as a warning to other n00bs.

Still, it's SO going to be worth it. Stick to it!

Comment

It could also work to your advantage, i.e. leave you time to shop around for second hand materials and so reduce overall costs.

How about that for turning a negative into a positive
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                    X