Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting to know me

Hiya ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Imran and I live in Sydney Australia.I am about to turn 39 and am married with a beautiful family.

I have been doing alot of DIY stuff around my house have just about finished my fountain/fish pond and just finished landscapign my front yard into a 2 tier garden. The Fountain was meant to be the focal point of my back yard but something is missing, I wasg oing to build a SPIT and a tandoori oven but was takling with a friend of mine and in a few minutes went from 2 seperate units to no SPIT roaster, instead to build a Wood fire ovenwith a tandoor on the side.

After some thought and research it occured to me that the conecpt of the Wood fire oven and the tandoori oven are identical in alot of ways and the only real difference was that the tandoor cooks on a vertical scale and the wood fire pizze oven on the horizontal scale so now I am looking at just building the wood fire oven and also using it as a tandoor.

If this idea is foolish of me I would appreciate it if some could tell me.

My real skills are in IT i have worked in information technology for about 15 years and am a expert in communications and internet security. I am a techno freak and always look for ideas to bring technology into things. Iama very analytical person and like to learnand knowwhy things arelike they are before I start a project.

Re: getting to know me

Good reading here! Welcome. Check out dmun's geodesic dome first - do a search for it. Then maybe Ken's Old Kentucky Dome thread in the Brick Oven Photos forum. There's many others, but these are two great builds that span the gammut of the multitude of styles available.

Welcome by the way. No real skills required in building an oven. Just a strong back and time.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Welcome, Imran. Post some pics of your landscaping sometime; it sounds very nice!

By the way, one of my relatives wanted a tandoor and a wood-fired oven as well. He decided to do the oven first, but is still planning the tandoor because he feels the oven can't replicate a tandoor entirely.
      Last edited by dbhansen; 04-07-2008, 01:42 PM.
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Most tandoori foods are cooked on brochettes, and those are easily done over two supports by the fire. Naan can be cooked flat, or if you want, you can slap it on the side of the dome by the fire. The only advantage to the tandoor is that you can heat it up with a smaller fire, which may be an advantage in super hot weather.

I'd start with the WFO, and go for the tandoor later if you think you need it.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Dmun,

I think I have decided to just do the wfo, the concept is the same so I am not going to build a tandoor later tto do a redundant task.

I am from india and have a bunch of friends who have worked in the indian restaurants so hopefully once i am up and running I can share the trick of the tradefor naan bread with you guys.

Imran

Comment

Ikhan - Looking forward to the naan tricks! Perhaps some great Indian recipies in the cooking sections of the forum too???
            GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
              Ikhan - Looking forward to the naan tricks! Perhaps some great Indian recipies in the cooking sections of the forum too???

MMMMM maybe I can really tick my parents off and give their family secret Biryani recipe or killer chicken curry recipe. The can totally disown me. LOL

I am going to see if I can get a day of work experience at one of the tandoori restaurants here and find out some of the tricks. Free labour for them and tips for me sounds like a fair trade off if you ask me.

Imran

Comment

I often think of doing the same thing myself, though I already know how to make a bad hamburger, and that's the standard restaraunt around here!
                GJBingham

-

Comment

I vote for some Indian recipe's too....come on Imran.....
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                  X