Hello all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all!

Hi, I'm from Belgium, a country with many Pizza restaurants :-)
    I'm planning to build my own wood oven and at the moment I'm gathering as much info as possible. At first I thought of building a Pompei oven but after some posts a Naepolitan version comes into mind..
    Anyway, nice to be here and I wish you all a happy 2016 !

Welcome to the forum, Patjer1. And, a Happy New Year to you. It looks like you will be in the new "Class of 2016" .

I'm looking forward to your build thread.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Welcome to the forum, Patjer1. And, a Happy New Year to you. It looks like you will be in the new "Class of 2016" .

I'm looking forward to your build thread.
      This is a test
      Forno Bravo

Comment

Well finally I started
        Placed an underground elektricity cable for the fridge and the lightning above the oven.
        Regarding the oven, it will be a 100cm-39.37".
        I also plan to build a round arch with a thermal break.
        If I use an 8" chimney with approx 3" bricks in both sides I will have a vent landing of 14", is this too long, With a decorative brick even more....
        What's the best length for the vent landing? Andy disadvantages when it's long?

Greetings!

Comment

This is a difficult one; once you decide to build in a thermal break between dome and vent the landing becomes markedly longer. There aren't many choices; the size of the oven suggests a certain diameter of flue, and there is a limit to how thin one would want the front and rear sections of the arch to be. I've got to the stage of starting to build my dome and debated this same point for quite some time. In the end I too have opted to have a thermal break, even though it means a long landing.

I guess it will make things a bit more difficult to access, but I decided that the thermal break was important for me. I'll be interested to hear some views on this subject too.

Comment

My thermal break took a quarter of an inch out of my landing. How big of a break are you considering?
            My build thread
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

I agree with JR. My thermal break is only roughly 1/4". It is stuffed with ceramic rope and works very well. You don't need a huge gap. Just enough for a little insulation and so they don't touch.

Randy

Comment

It's not the width of the break, but the construction of the vent area changes when it's not tied into the inner arch. Unless I've misunderstood something, one can make it much shorter without a break...

How deep is the landing on your ovens?

Comment

Originally posted by jonv View Post
                  This is a difficult one; once you decide to build in a thermal break between dome and vent the landing becomes markedly longer. There aren't many choices; the size of the oven suggests a certain diameter of flue, and there is a limit to how thin one would want the front and rear sections of the arch to be. I've got to the stage of starting to build my dome and debated this same point for quite some time. In the end I too have opted to have a thermal break, even though it means a long landing.

I guess it will make things a bit more difficult to access, but I decided that the thermal break was important for me. I'll be interested to hear some views on this subject too.
                  I'm a fan of as shallow an entry area as possible. With the flue at the front a deep tunnel before you get to the actual oven makes working it more difficult and requires tools with longer handles. Unfortunately if you build it out of bricks it is very difficult to make it shallow. In addition with a shallow entry, unless the oven is well flued and there is decent funnelling to the flue pipe or chimney, smoke escapes out the front. My solution was to cast the whole flue gallery and to also make it as light as possible so it won't act like a heat sink sapping the oven of heat. For this reason I've placed my thermal break between the outer decorative arch and the cast flue gallery. Like Gulf says "there's more than one way to skin a squirrel".
                  My flue gallery is only 5" deep and the outer decorative arch 2 &3/4" deep. Thermal break 1/2"
                  Last edited by david s; 10-01-2016, 04:41 AM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

5"? Crikey. The anchor plate I'm looking at for the 8" flue is already 11.25" square. I was looking at a similar depth to patjer1, with at least 3" of brick each side of an 8" opening...

Comment

David's oven is a smaller cast oven. I believe it is a 27" ID. So between the smaller oven and cast (which he is our resident expert) he can do a smaller vent depth.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

As for depth mine is 13.5"deep. I have had no trouble with it at all. I often set pans there for cooking different dishes.

Randy

Comment

Ah, ok - that's good to know

Comment

Mine is same as Randy's give or take a quarter of an inch. I cut my rear vent arch bricks to extend over my inner arch to give me more arch stability, a larger area for the chimney to rest, and to allow me to put my ceramic rope along the top of the inner arch, not against the face of it.
                            My build thread
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

JRPizza, Thats made me think.

Have you had any smoke leakage? Been struggling to gain a few inches for my facing arch that could cure it:-). Im Planning on building my outer/facing arch out of conventional red face brick, other than tying in do you foresee any probs?

S

Comment

Working...
                              X