Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build in Cardiff

Hi folks

Starting a new build in Cardiff - the plan is a nice 42in pompeii in brick (brick/ block stand with rendered enclosure around the dome - to match the house)

My first question is for those people who have built a block plinth with a skin of brick is did you build it as a traditional cavity wall (brick skin, 50mm cavity block internal wall tied together with stainless ties) or did you not bother with the cavity.
    Having the cavity may make pouring the plinth a little more tricky but doable.
    What are peoples views - any tips?

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I did not need the extra distance between me and the oven for the thickness of a whole brick. I cut about a 3/4" face from old solid bricks. That gave me two faces per brick. I used thinset to apply them to the stand and then pointed the mortar joints.

50 mm (approx. 2") cavity?. If I understand correctly, that is a good bit more space between the cmus and the brick than I am accustomed to.

If I were going to use whole brick as a face for the stand, I think that I would just lay a double wall of brick and skip the cmus.

I hope this helps.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

The only reason for a cavity is to prevent rain water transferring from the outer skin to the inner skin in house construction it is not necessary in the plinth but the ties are

Comment

Thanks gents - Nice solution using the brick facings - hadn't thought of that but as I have 400ish bricks waiting to be laid I guess there's not a lot of need for me to do that now - oh well live and learn. I thought the cavity may have been needed not for the water issue but rather to increase the footprint of the walls potentially making them more stable. II guess if people are building stands with single blocks then block and brick is "over engineered" a bit anyway. Makes the base smaller which will keep my other half happy

P

Comment

Working...
        X