Hello from PA,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from PA,

Hi my name is Alexandra and I was born and raised in Germany, but now living in Adamstown, PA. I was hoping and dreaming about having my own little baking oven to bake breads I had in Germany and miss so dearly. We are getting serious about installing an oven this Spring, and making plans, but it is a bit overwhelming so many options, and figuring out what is right for us. One thing we want to make sure it works so we can enjoy using it! I am enjoying this forum, and appreciate the members that are so willing to share and help. Looking forward learning lots about pizza/bake ovens, how to install and use them. Alex

Hello Alex,
    I attended high school and was stationed in Germany till 1992. My wife and I have recently moved to Philadelphia, from Vegas, for our careers. Once we buy our new home installing a pizza oven/smoker is on my to do list.
    being that we are.both in PA we may have many of the same questions about our builds. I see that many on here are helpful with advice so I loo forward to seeing our builds come to life.
    best of luck
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Brotalex View Post
      Hi my name is Alexandra and I was born and raised in Germany, but now living in Adamstown, PA. I was hoping and dreaming about having my own little baking oven to bake breads I had in Germany and miss so dearly. We are getting serious about installing an oven this Spring, and making plans, but it is a bit overwhelming so many options, and figuring out what is right for us. One thing we want to make sure it works so we can enjoy using it! I am enjoying this forum, and appreciate the members that are so willing to share and help. Looking forward learning lots about pizza/bake ovens, how to install and use them. Alex
      Hi Alex! As you noted it does seem a bit overwhelming with all the options available and decisions to be made. In my opinion, since you are favoring bread baking as a primary goal you need to think about quantities and alternate baking goals. You can easily bake a couple loaves in a 21" oven or put through a lot of pizzas as David S has done with his cast oven. I built a larger 39" oven and bake 15 to 30 loaves in a single firing (multiple loaf loads ). I never thought I would be doing this, but it's been so much fun making bread and giving it away that's it's become a satisfying retirement hobby. Most of the folks in this forum bake almost everything in their WFOs ...pizza & bread are probably tops, but roasts, poultry, casseroles, stews, roasted veggies, cookies, etc. are all common.

Whether you plan to build, buy a modular kit, or purchase one ready to use ...think about your cooking and party/entertaining tendencies & dreams using a WFO first. Second, look around your yard and think about where you'd put an oven so you'd readily use and enjoy it. Next, let "us" know where your thoughts are headed so we can give you some further input. Remember, we're here to help based on our experiences but it's what you want and can afford that's important.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Mike, we have just done that in the last few weeks and we got closer with our plans, and made a few decisions, we will go with a Forno Bravo Casa 2 G90 I think that will fit us well, I will probably will not bake as many loaves as you also our mason that will help us, is familiar with these kind of ovens and done them before. We also have a location and will build a patio connecting the house, and so we will have great access to our kitchen. Alexandra

Comment

I think you'll really enjoy the 2G90 model. I helped install one at a remote cabin for a friend and we've cooked everything from a suckling pig to molten lava cakes. Normally we spend 3-4 weeks at the cabin and I bake 4 baguettes every other day along with a fairly constant procession of appetizers, casseroles, Possum Korn, roasted veggies, & roasts. Looking forward to your progress. Do make sure that you or your builder are very careful with the ceramic insulation blanket storage & application (masks, protective eye glasses & gloves). If you have questions about the install that your builder or the FB instructions leave you "hanging", be sure and post the issue(s) here.

When you get ready to do bread, let me know and if you'd like we can go over some of the fun (and different) issues you'll face baking in the WFO (based on my humble opinions of course ).
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you so much, we are ordering the Casa 2G90 today, I am so excited I attached a picture of how we wanted to look I hope it will all work out with the dimensions
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X