No announcement yet.

New member and first Portable 32" build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is the completed oven! She works wonderfully, breathes well, looks good and is 100% mobile. Its heavy as and requires effort to push but can be done I have rubber wheels now supposedly suited to 250Kg a piece but they don't like the weight much so will order polyurethane versions.

Only things left to do, is cover in the base at the sides to protect the wood and make the stand look the part. I also need to build a door for the oven, with sliders to control ventilation.

The original idea for this oven came from seeing my friends oven, being then struck with jealousy and needing one haha but not willing to pay 4000$ for a jamie oliver one. I set about wanting to create the same if not better oven for way less and i think i well and truly achieved that. My oven came in at approximately 1300$ in materials and tools ect. Labour... well took three months give or take a week or two. Its has and 80 cm internal diameter cooking surface on firebricks laid herringbone. The dome walls are 2.5 - 3 " thick, built in four sections with keystone at top cast in. Covered in 2"+ vericrete and then 10- 15mm stucco with six layers in total waterproofing plus mosaic tiles for looks. Love it, loved the job and had so much fun reading other peoples builds. Now wifi could only learn to make better dough hahaha

One thing i haven't mentioned it a put a steam valve in at the top of the dome like was suggested on this forum, works a treat and for at least the next six months when i fire it i will have the steam valve open. Big thank you to the forum and especiallyDavidS for his help and advice along the way.

This was my fist oven and no doubt will not be my last

Ps if anyone in Brisbane, Aust i still have 10kg Lime, 12.5 kg High temp High strength castable, 3 kg mortar, grout and tile adhesive ect if anyone wants it.

Comment

Beautiful! Do you know approximately how much it weighs? I'm designing a stand for a similar sized cast oven.

Comment

Sorry that was a dumb question - I see you initially estimated it to be 400kg. Do you think this estimate was accurate?

What is the material on top of the Hebel outside the vermiculite in this picture? It looks like a similar color to the dome. https://community.fornobravo.com/fil...photoid=402202

Comment

Saenns,

It has been a year since Nate has posted. If you have specific questions about casting ovens, look at or PM David S, he is our forum casting expert and resides in Queensland (Townsville I think)
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by saenns View Post
            Sorry that was a dumb question - I see you initially estimated it to be 400kg. Do you think this estimate was accurate?

What is the material on top of the Hebel outside the vermiculite in this picture? It looks like a similar color to the dome. https://community.fornobravo.com/fil...photoid=402202

Hey mate sorry for the late reply, I didn't get an email notification of your question. I think it would come in weight wise around easily 450Kg but the stand is rock steady (stand accounts for around 60Kg/135Lb) and with the wheels relatively easy to push around. I used 3mm thick steel all around, probably overkill but i didn't want it to warp when moving and cause stress cracks in my welds. As for the material on top similar in colour to the dome, thats just builders foam bought in a sheet and cut to fit to raise the deck before i tiled over. So far in the years since i completed it, i have had no issues whatsoever and it sits outside 24/7.

Hope this helps, ill check back later to see if you respond. Also as Utahbeehiver mentioned David S is a fantastic resource. All the best with your project, Nate

Comment

Working...
            X