Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Build Done! worried about dimensions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Done! worried about dimensions.

Got my oven completed. I'm a little bit worried about my dimensions, as its a bit taller then I had planned.

Its about a 32" diameter, and the height inside the dome is 24"
    My entrance is 19 wide and 16 " high..

I'm just 2 burns into curing it, so I have been trying to keep the temperature low, but I'm finding that I'm not getting the entire oven to the same temperature...

Obviously I need to keep a couple more fires going to find out, but do these dimensions seem to out of whack?

Im thinking I could put another layer of firebrick on top of the floor, bring it to about 21.5 inches height and 19x13.5 entrance...

Other then that! man what a fun project!

its got a Concrete slab with ~2" of vermiculite under the dome the firebricks is 4.5 thick, with 3 inches of insulation blanket, 1-2 Inches of Vermiculite/portland on top of the blanket, and then some type S mortar and then Exterior Stucco on the exterior.

Kit

Originally posted by kitlindquist View Post
    Got my oven completed. I'm a little bit worried about my dimensions, as its a bit taller then I had planned.

Its about a 32" diameter, and the height inside the dome is 24"
    My entrance is 19 wide and 16 " high..

I'm just 2 burns into curing it, so I have been trying to keep the temperature low, but I'm finding that I'm not getting the entire oven to the same temperature...

Obviously I need to keep a couple more fires going to find out, but do these dimensions seem to out of whack?

Im thinking I could put another layer of firebrick on top of the floor, bring it to about 21.5 inches height and 19x13.5 entrance...

Other then that! man what a fun project!

its got a Concrete slab with ~2" of vermiculite under the dome the firebricks is 4.5 thick, with 3 inches of insulation blanket, 1-2 Inches of Vermiculite/portland on top of the blanket, and then some type S mortar and then Exterior Stucco on the exterior.

Kit
    Generally the hemisphere is a good all round performer as the chamber fires well and there is sufficient height for roasts etc. The Neapolitan ovens with a low dome can be more suited for pizza as they can cook the top of the pizza a little faster’ although the flatter dome is less stable structurally than a hemisphere. Likewise a high dome (yours) will probably cook the top of the pizzas slower, being further from the food. In practice there’s not that much difference but try it out and if you are dissatisfied with how it operates you could always remove the floor bricks (if that is easily achievable) and insert two or three inches of insulation, then replace the floor bricks. Adding a second layer of dense firebrick over the existing floor brick will mean that the floor will take a lot longer to reach temperature. Raising the floor won’t alter the door height to internal height ratio enough to make any difference to the way the oven chamber fires. In fact yours is presently at 66% and raising it 3”” would result in a 62% ratio (63% is apparently ideal) Another technique is to “dome” the pizza. This is when you hold the pizza close to the oven roof with your peel after it has cooked sufficiently, in order to get the pizza top hotter.
    Last edited by david s; 12-03-2017, 03:47 AM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
    X