Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oven Progress! Following Ken524's build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven Progress! Following Ken524's build.

Can't wait till done but each brick requres 4 cuts! Even so, going thru grout quickly! Already on 3rd bag. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	407155Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	407156Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	407157Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	407158

You are making nice progress. A couple concerns, what is the floor insulation? I cannot tell from the pics you attached, I almost looks like the oven is sitting on the concrete hearth. If so, the hearth will be a large heat sink draining away floor temp.

By using full soldiers on the dome as well as vertical columns on the front arch, you need to seriously consider bolstering these areas. There is a lot of outward pressure in these area.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Oh no. The insulation is 2" FB insulation board. You just cannot see from pics. I am not sure what you mean by soldier course on the front arch. I used the soldier course for the first chain only. Am I misunderstanding? Thank you for your help. I have literally gone by photos only using some specs from FB. I have read and re-read FBs build instructions for clarification but have not used any program to help. I think FB indicates a soldier course as a build option.

Comment

With a full hemi sphere oven (half circle) the static load transmits uniformly down. with a full solder on the first course the load of the dome has an outward load. So talking about the dome only. there have been numerous ovens build without additional bolstering around the soldiers, but also numerous with, if the dome is a flatter dome the outward load is even greater. Just something to be aware of.

Now on the front arch, due to the shallow arch, there is the same type of outward load as well due to the vertical columns on each side. Notice on Ken's build he has steel studs butting right up against the vertical columns. There should not be and issue if you are using a SS chimney due to the lighter weight. If you are building a brick or rock chimney, the weight is much greater hence more outward load where the arch and vertical column meet.
        Russell

Comment

Thank you!! I had not noticed as I thought the bracing was for the exterior enclosure. Seriously, I need to get it together! I will ensure to put the bracing up. I still have extra FB board for the job! Thank you. As you can tell, I am not a builder. I just want a dang WFO and need to stay busy.

Comment

The bracing is probably for the structure too but serves as buttressing of the arch as well.
            Russell

Comment

What are you using for mortar? I had previously mixed my own to make sure fireclay was used as well as silica sand. Takes the heat pretty good!

Comment

Hi 4Shelby. I am using Heat Stop 50 mortar. They ship to my house $77 per 50 pound bag.

Comment

Working...
                X