Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karyn B
    replied
    I cannot figure out how to post a new topic so I will ask here. What material should I use to attach my vent anchor plate to the chimney? I was going to order Utahs hi temp stuff but did not want to pay $50 a tube. Good substitute? Thank you all. I am really happy with how it's coming along! Thank you all for your advice!

Leave a comment:

• rwiegand
    replied
    You probably want to ask your inspector. I'm not sure on exactly what the code calls for, but in the last two fireplace remodels I've done the inspector insisted on steel studs all the way to the ceiling over the fireplace. I did my oven with all steel so the issue didn't come up. Its somewhat of a PITA to work with, but not that bad once you learn a few tricks (wear gloves!)

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied
    Yes, wood framing can be safely used for an oven enclosure. Just use metal for the stud directly on each side of and for the studs directly above the entrance.
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-29-2018, 06:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Karyn B
    replied
    Hi All. I have a question. My husband does not want to work with metal studs. Wondering if I enclose the dome with 3 inches of blanket insulation plus one coat of Vermiculte:Portland, then stucco, would it then be safe to use wood studs? Trying to figure out finish. I want the house enclosure but getting resistance from the builder in our house! I do not have enough skill to build the framing so may need to have igloo look. Thank you in advance for your info.

Leave a comment:

• Karyn B
    replied
    I want to thank you guys for your advice. I will be working on my vent opening today. I will also place the heat lamp inside to start the curing process....slowly!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    Originally posted by david s View Post
    providing you have some decent funnelling below the restriction you will be fine. It is the cross sectional area combined with the height of the flue which gives it the drawing power. A small restriction no greater than around 25% of the flue will simply act as a Venturi and smoke will actually accelerate at that point. It would help if you can knock off the sharp edges at both the entry and exit of the restrictionto create a smoother flow.
    https://www.comsol.com/blogs/explori...enturi-effect/

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    You have a couple options now with David's suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied
    providing you have some decent funnelling below the restriction you will be fine. It is the cross sectional area combined with the height of the flue which gives it the drawing power. A small restriction no greater than around 25% of the flue will simply act as a Venturi and smoke will actually accelerate at that point. It would help if you can knock off the sharp edges at both the entry and exit of the restrictionto create a smoother flow.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    If you look at Ken's arch the top of his opening is almost 5 brick widths wide versa 3 brick wide for your build. Even though your the opening is wider underneath up top it is still a restriction point. Changing it is up to you. Just pointing out potential smoking issues.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-21-2018, 07:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karyn B
    replied
    Utah, does it help that my under arch opening is about 16 inches wide and then funnels up to the 4.5 x 9 opening? I made my arch like Ken524's build albeit not as pretty!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Yeah, retired engineer. So here's the potential issue. The 4.5 x 9 inch opening has an area of 40.5 square inches and the ID (internal diameter) of the 8" SS chimney has an area of 50.2" square inches which means there is a restriction of flow by the small area brick opening going into the larger area 8" chimney vent. In addition, rectangular openings are not as efficient as round openings. This could case in flow restriction to cause smoke to back up then out the front of the oven. Ugg, I know, but you need to a be aware of this, smoke will follow the path of least resistance. 8" is the correct size SS vent for a 42" ID oven. So you need to take about 1.5" out of the depth of the 3 arch bricks.

I also attached a copy of an anchor plate that you need for SS pipe. This one is for Selkirt so not quite that same as Duravent but you will get the idea, you need to get the dimensions of the Duravent anchor plate for your build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	409170
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 10-21-2018, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karyn B
    replied
    Oh Utah the vent opening is 4.5 x 9. You clearly are the engineer. I resort to pictures! . I am planning to install an 8" Duratech double wall 24" or 36". Not sure yet. My oven is a 42". Does ID mean internal dimension of oven?
    Last edited by Karyn B; 10-21-2018, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Karyn B
    replied
    I finished the vent arch and left about a one inch reveal. Getting there!! Woohoo!!!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	409167

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    What size SS are you installing? The I am guessing on the opening based on pics and it appears to be about 4 x 9 or 10 which is 36-40 square inches. The opening should be at least the same are the ID area of the SS chimney pipe, A= pi x r squares, ie 3.14 x 3x3 for 6" Id pipe = 28.7 square inches, so opening good, 3.14 x 4 x 4 = 50.2 square inches for 8" ID pipe so opening too small. Just bringing to your attention. Typical recommendation 32-36 ID oven 6" ID chimney, greater than 36" 8" ID chimney

Leave a comment:

• Karyn B
    replied
    Thank you Utah. I will go slow on the curing. I finished the vent opening today. Will install chimney and buttress next weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	409157

Leave a comment:

Working...
X