Western Maryland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Maryland

New guy here. Built a wood fired smokehouse that I have been using quite a bit. You can find it below linked on my blog. Part 2 shows the fire box build and where I made most of my mistakes. It works, but I didn't know as much about masonry and fire as I thought I did and am learning on the run now. I didn't run my fire brick all the way to the top and the brick above it heaves when the fire box gets hot. It was built with S motor and done pretty well except where I didn't sue firebrick.

The plan now is to rebuild it this summer or next summer. The wife went back to school to finish college now the kids are older and she'll probably get upset when I start buy all this stuff on one income. Anyway, I was thinking about doming the fire box with fire brick and a wooden form. Then building an oven over it for cooking anything, such as chickens, turkeys or anything I would like a smoke flavor on. I am unsure about the materials I can use for the oven. I am sure I will read on here for a bit and then maybe open a thread to toss some ideas out and get slapped around a bit.

[Edit], scratching this and I see I should have put this in the Newbie forum.

The attached photo shows what I have and what I would like to do. The fire box would be built bigger, mainly to support the oven, even though the size it is now is plenty fine. The red shows the oven and the green the future chimney on top and smoke flow.

The blue is where my heat bypass is now and I can use the oven as a heat bypass and likely to put a 1/4" steel plate as a damper over the entry to the oven. There is already a damper to the smokehouse. I have problems with this rusting as the roof drains right on it and I would fix this.
    Last edited by archeryrob; 11-27-2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X