Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Oven cracks

All,

I built a 48" oven a year ago. I put 3" of ceramic blanket held down by chicken wire, 3" of a cement/ perlite mixture, and a coating of bonding cement (mixed with bonding adhesive/water - the ratio was mostly bonding adhesive).

I want to repair the cracks and seal the dome - add some color (slate gray or similar) to the final coat. I have read there is a three step process (three different coatings to get a proper seal). I would like it to be waterproof.

I live in North Jersey and the oven is covered with a plastic tarp when not in use. Attached are two photos of what some of the cracks look like. And the oven with a brick veneer from that I just added.

Any help is appreciate, as I want to complete this the proper way.

Those cracks are on the outer coating?
    Did you fire your oven while raining?

Comment

The outer shell is only a protective cover, but the cracks can provide an entry for water. It is a good idea to fill them with the same render mix you used originally. Wet the cracks first. Wait 10 mins for the water to penetrate. Over the top of the rendered cement shell I use flexible pointing which is an acrylic product containing sand that is extremely flexible, nice textured finish and creates a high build. It is around 2 mm thick, waterproof and durable. It covers small cracks extremely wel. If you can’t obtain it you could try a 100% acrylic render and water it down 20% so you can paint it on. About 3 coats will give you. 2 mm layer.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

George M - oven was not fired when raining. I followed the process on lighting gradually higher temperature fires over 6 days.

Comment

I love you! Pizzaiolo: any photos you can share of what your oven looks like with the coating?

Comment

Working...
          X