Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting over sand

Hello all,
    I am looking for some advice. I have been enticed by the DIY Vermicrete/Perlite ovens. However, having got lost in these forums for hours now, I have come to you all for some help if possible! I want this to work well and have come to David's idea of using 50/50 crushed firebrick, castable, with ss needle reinforcing. I have found sources for all of this in the UK.

So far - my base is going be an insulating layer of perlite and portland cement. On top of that, I have sourced some second hand storage heater firebricks. This is what the oven will be built upon. I then want to build the oven around a sand dome. Will it mould by hand around that? I really can't afford a fire brick build! So, I'm thinking of using David's crushed firebrick mix above. Would you say that this would be a good way forward? Would it hold and be a good initial layer closest to the pizza. I thought about skimming it with refractory mortar/cement?

Hoping to make the dome around 80 cm (32 inch) diameter.

So - here would be my layers - David's mix, then a ceramic blanket coating, then a perlite and portland cement mix, then finished off with a white stucco layer/broken tiles

Thank you in advance. A lot of questions I know but really appreciate the feedback!!

No, what you want is the home brew mix. I used crushed firebrick for my kiln, but that is for double the temp of a WFO. See my pm to you.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

cnegrelli has a well documented cast build over a sand form. I canít seem to copy and paste the link, but if you search the forum for Longmont, CO new WFO build youíll get it.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Great, Thanks again David.

Comment

Working...
        X