Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heya from Thailand

Hey folks,

I'm Capp, and I'm a Californian retired in the Isaan region of Thailand. The buffaloes and rice fields Thailand, not beaches and big cities Thailand. Currently I'm building a house with my soon to be wife, and I am thinking seriously about building a wood fired oven just off the front patio. I really like to cook, and I'm dreaming of getting into the big kitchen we are building and out of the tiny apartment we are in in the meantime. But one design aspect of the kitchen has been a problem so far, an oven.

It's hard to find a decent oven here for anything but outrageous prices. An oven is not something that is considered part of the standard kitchen outfit here, so the only folks installing them are westerners and HiSo folks looking to show off.

Plus, It's hot here, stupid hot sometimes, and even the 'cool' season is not that cool. I don't want an oven heating up the inside of my house when it's 40c outside.

So putting an oven in an outdoor secondary kitchen seemed like a good idea. I started poking around the internets for ideas, one thing led to another, and here I am, all fired up to build an outdoor wood fired oven. I even have the lady of the house on board after showing her some video of what kinds of cookery can be done in the oven.

I feel really lucky to have found this forum, It's amazing the kind of specialized expertise one can find on the internet, I'm gonna do some more lurking and reading and then I'll make a post in the build section about what I hope to make, and then you can all hopefully help me avoid most dumb mistakes.

Working...
X