Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in vermiculite hearth floor

Hello
    I was replacing a damaged brick on my oven floor and noticed my vermiculite/cement base is badly cracked. I built this oven 5 years and I have no cracks in the dome what so ever.
    I want to know what’s the best solution to repair these cracks before I place the bricks back in place. Click image for larger version

Name:	283A3C5E-D4B3-434E-8FF4-6EEE888C88C9.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	421604
    thank you
    HG

Give us a few more details, how thick is the vcrete? what ratio did you use? Is there a structural concrete hearth under the vcrete?

You are one of the few builders I have seen that has had to replace bricks in the floor. were they spalling or cracking?
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you for your quick response.
      its 4 inch thick. I used the recipe recommended by FB. Yes there’s is a 4inch concrete under the VCrete. I am planning on flipping the bricks on the floor to make them look cleaner and also had few that are chipped.

Comment

I would like to know what material you recommend to fill these cracks

Comment

Do you think you need to fill them? It is an insulating layer not really a structural layer. If you feel like you really need to fill them then a home brew 3,1,1,1 sand, lime, portland, clay or a fireplace ready to use mortar.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Got it. Thank you for the advice.
            do you know where I can get fireclay to place back the oven floor bricks back?
            What material do you recommend I use for brick oven floor?

Comment

Working...
            X