Wanna build my own pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna build my own pizza oven

So with the COVID 19 lock down, finally I get to teach my kids how to cook. Problem is that all I have to depend on are electrical ovens. So I love to make pizza and smoke meat. As I was browsing you tube for ideas on how to build a pizza oven I came across a page/channel of Lee McNeil and he suggested that this is the forum to get all my ideas into building my own Pizza oven And he built an amazing one too.

so my aim is to Get as many ideas as I can on oven bricks and hopefully get my boys and girl to do do some DIY and spend quality time with them doing the work..

I live in Oman, most of the items (building materials)I need won’t be available, so I will need to look for alternatives.. but I am up to that challenge

I have looked at his YouTube video and for the most part it is good. However, there is one fatal flaw in the dome construction. While the floor sits on a bed of perlite/concrete, the dome sits directly on the concrete hearth. This acts as a heat sink taking valuable btus away from the oven. It is an easy fix, just extend the insulation on the floor to go under the dome wall. Also, we have had a few builders from the mid east and for the most part able to find most materials.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      I have looked at his YouTube video and for the most part it is good. However, there is one fatal flaw in the dome construction. While the floor sits on a bed of perlite/concrete, the dome sits directly on the concrete hearth. This acts as a heat sink taking valuable btus away from the oven. It is an easy fix, just extend the insulation on the floor to go under the dome wall. Also, we have had a few builders from the mid east and for the most part able to find most materials.
      It's a pretty good build, but apart from the dome sitting on the concrete supporting slab as Russell has pointed out, the idea of the smoke chamber running up the concrete blocks of the stand may lead to them cracking if they get too hot.
      When making a basin in the supporting slab to hold the underfloor insulation increases the possibility for it to pick up water after a heavy rain event or entry from any cracks above it.. Some drain holes through the supporting slab would also assist this as well as making the initial underfloor perlcrete drying easier. Also firing the oven up to operating temperature when uninsulated is asking for trouble.
      Last edited by david s; 08-07-2020, 09:17 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I agree with the above 2 statements. As far as the smoker box it should be lined with fire brick but I have seen many smokers in a restaurant setting use concrete masonry units (CMU) as the walls to their pit smokers but they are also maintaining a 225- 275 degree f temperature so there isnt a big fire. The thing you have to worry about is if the block has some trapped water and the block is not pourous it could crack /exploded from the steam. One of my favorite shows on cooking channel is watching Roger Mooking on Man Fire Food on the Cooking Channel. People even build makeshift pits with block...Love that show

Ricky
        My Build Pictures
        https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Wow this is great, already getting pointers.. you mentioned that you have builders in the Mid East Do you have their numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Coolballs View Post
            Wow this is great, already getting pointers.. you mentioned that you have builders in the Mid East Do you have their numbers
            I believe he ment there are forum members from the mid East that built ovens. You probably can do a forum search and try to find their build threads.

Ricky
            My Build Pictures

Comment

V12spririt did a build, he was from Syria, I know there are a few others you'll just have to search the forum. I would think will of the oil and gas and processing plants in the region, refractory materials would be readily available.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post

I believe he ment there are forum members from the mid East that built ovens. You probably can do a forum search and try to find their build threads.

Ricky
                I saw your pictures, I think your take on the pizza oven and bbq are is amazing, it looks beautiful and i especially love the way you covered the dorm, because all images i saw till now the dorm was visible, and I can respect how people would appreciate that.. I but absolutely love the way your oven and BBQ area looks like ..

Nasser

Comment

Thanks Nazser,

This forum really helped me be more creative and put me on the right path when building the oven.

Ricky
                  My Build Pictures

Comment

Working...
                  X