Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Germany

Hello all,

Just a quick note to say 'hello' and hope to learn more about this wonderful idea from the forums. Has anyone had any experience of building ovens in Germany, it would be good to get some ideas about supplies etc!

Look forward to finding out more!

James

Re: Greetings from Germany

Hello and welcome wjms,
    Whereabouts in Germany are you. In the past I spent many happy years in Germany. In fact I had my first pizza there, way back in 1969. I go back on holiday most years. Last Christmas was spent just south of Munich. Although I spent a few years working on building sites out there I am afraid I can't help you with quest for supplies. Try going into your nearest builders merchants I am sure they will put you on the right track even if they don't have what you want in stock.
    Good luck and keep us all posted.
    sigpicNever put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.

Comment

Welcome to the site. If you are like me you will learn a lot and enjoy doing it. Hope you stick around a while and look forward to hearing about your oven progress when it begins.
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
      like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by rafv View Post
        Whereabouts in Germany are you. In the past I spent many happy years in Germany. In fact I had my first pizza there, way back in 1969. I go back on holiday most years. Last Christmas was spent just south of Munich. Although I spent a few years working on building sites out there I am afraid I can't help you with quest for supplies. Try going into your nearest builders merchants I am sure they will put you on the right track even if they don't have what you want in stock.
        I'm a little further north than Munich - between Hannover and Osnabrueck to be precise. Although I've not yet been to the local builders merchant, I have discovered that the Germany representatives of the firm that supply FB from Italy are located about 30 kms or so from here, so may well be paying them a visit soon, once I've read up a little more on the subject in these very informative pages.

Shame that there's no FB rep in Germany, but you can't have everything I guess.

Will keep you all posted about my progress, it's definitely on the cards for this summer though - need a project to be getting on with!

James

Comment

I have driven through your area countless times...
          I had a two great aunts who lived in Bad Pyrmont...
          My father graduated high school in Bielefeld...
          Small world!
          All the best...we're here to help!
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I knew that area pretty well at one time. I was with BAOR over near Dortmund but we travelled to most of the bases in the North. I did a map reading course in your area. I got lost!
            sigpicNever put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.

Comment

@rafv - Dortmund is still there, but all of the bases have shut. Most people are now relying on GPS machines, so map reading is quickly becoming a lost art! Then again, what's square and f...s officers? As one of my SNCOs once asked...

@Dutch - met my wife in Bielefeld Driven through Bad Pyrmont a couple of times, nice town.

There's a wealth of information on this site, far too much to take in in a weekend! I think I'll do a lot more reading before making any decisions, although to be honest, I am thinking that one of the pre-formed ovens may be the answer for my situation...

Have a good weekend one & all.
              James

Comment

Hi James,

Welcome to the forum! I already thought I could give you lots of good advice on where to get oven stuff - I got a lot of mine from just over the border in Germany... but you're too far north for it to be of any use to you .

Never mind, keep posting the sources you find, and together we'll be able to start getting a (north) European source network going.
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hi Frances,

Already spotted your build on the forum, but also thought that Switzerland was perhaps a bit of a drive from here in the distant north!

However, I probably need a bit of assistance with translating some of the building materials as/when I get started! That and the imperial-metric unit problem!

James

Comment

Working...
                  X