Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebox Dreaming in Atlanta

Hello all,

I am glad to have found this community. It looks like a lot of great information and direction.

I am looking to build an oven soon, especially after seeing the wide range of use you can get out of one.

Never done any mason work but I have a lot of woodworking experience. I am hoping this isnt out of scope for my skills.

From Atlanta,
    Sam

Re: Firebox Dreaming in Atlanta

Welcome to the group Capt'n!

Like you, most of my building experience is with wood. I like working with wood, and kind of understand wood.

One of the reasons I took on the project of building a WFO (wood fired oven) is to learn about masonry projects. I have not been disappointed! This has been a great project to learn about and practice cement stuff. You will have the opportunity to do just about every thing that can be done with cement based products... (poured concrete, stacked block, placing brick, installing stucco, etc.) Lots of opportunity to learn. Any body with a bit of persistence can figure this stuff out, and access to this forum and the information in the 30,000 or more comments that are available here, will answer any question you might come up with...

The best part of the project is the finished bit... A working oven that will out perform any other appliance in your kitchen! (maybe not as convenient as the electric stove, but a lot more fun).

I suggest you find a place in the back yard, and start digging tomorrow! This is a great project, a bunch of fun, and you end up with a great oven...

Do get a digital camera so you can keep us posted on your progress!

See ya around,

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post

One of the reasons I took on the project of building a WFO (wood fired oven) is to learn about masonry projects. I have not been disappointed! This has been a great project to learn about and practice cement stuff. You will have the opportunity to do just about every thing that can be done with cement based products... (poured concrete, stacked block, placing brick, installing stucco, etc.) Lots of opportunity to learn.
      Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Welcome aboard Capt, its great to have you here. If you have skills in building then this should be easy enough for you. I have no skill with bricks but have no doubt I can handle it. If you need any info this is the place to find it. Enjoy.
        Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
        like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Cap
          I wasn't a carpenter or a mason...Oh I could get about on some tasks...but now I am lots of things...building the oven gave me lots of confidence in trying new things, thinking outside of my own box, and so much more...
          It's OK to feel apprehensive but...do it anyway!
          Best
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Welcome Cap....you will find a lot of ideas and variations....this can be like fine finish work or rough sawn carpentry....you'll do fine with it......fun projects....the goal is what comes out once it's hot!
            Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

How is the project coming Cap'n? I am planning to build in Athens, just down the road from you.

CP

Comment

Working...
              X