Hi there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there

Started making pizza on a 19mm thick ceramic stone in a home oven in the 80's. About 20 years ago i upgraded to a Fibrament stone, which i broke earlier this year. Very sad. I haven't replaced it because I'm experiencing some indecision about whether to replace my home oven so i don't know for sure what size to order.

But then i bought a 2nd hand Green Mountain Grills pellet grill and added their pizza oven attachment, which is like an inverted pyramid that funnels all the heat and exhaust gasses from the firepot to a stainless steel top that a pizza stone sits on with some standoffs, and the gasses pass through vents at the sides up under the steel lid.

Works very well. Can get well over 1000f depending on what temperature you tell the grill to heat to -- the grill's sensor is only able to read radiated heat and convected air, so without an infrared thermometer it's a matter of trial and error. I had to get a better IR thermometer because my cheapies would just tell me it was too hot to read.

Anyway, hi. The other day i watched the assembly video for a pizza oven kit that has a structure assembled mostly out of cast slabs. I don't think it's a good design, but using cast slabs sounds like an interesting way to maybe make a low dome oven. Maybe hexagonal or septagonal could be possible with a minimal number of molds -- I mean perhaps the wall and roof sections could be designed so that several of them come out of the same two molds.

Working...
X