foundation dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foundation dimensions

I have been rereading the oven plans and have a question. There seems to be a discrepancy in the size recommended for the foundation. On the chart near the beginning of the text the dimensions for a 42" oven are given as 76 X 88; elsewhere, like on the parts list, I see 80 X 94. Which is correct? Is it minimum vs. optimal?

Thanks for your help on this, the first of many questions.

CP

Re: foundation dimensions

CP,

I wrestled with this same issue. There really isn't a correct answer. There is some flexibility in the dimensions. Some of the variance may be caused by dry stacking concrete blocks vs. mortaring. Or perhaps there are differences in concrete block dimensions. I think those measurements came from two different sources when they started editing the plans.

I figured out my foundation dimensions by working backwards... I measured the size of the concrete blocks at Home Depot and calculated how big the stand would need to be for a 42" oven + insulation + framing + Hardibacker. Then I worked out the size of the foundation I needed. Give yourself several inches extra all around (it looks nice and you can brick the stand if you want. I added 3 feet extra to the front for a place to stand while cooking. My final foundation dimensions are 78.5" x 116".

The 80x94 dimension mentioned in the plans will certainly work with no problems for a 42" oven.

Good luck and keep us up-to-date on your progress!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Hi CP,
      You are probably gonna be confused also with a stand size, since of the the page 15 you'll find totally different sizes of the stand - just because it's for modular FB ovens, which dimensions differ from the brick ovens.
      You should go in the other direction (for your confidence) - measure the real size of your bricks, and make a simple drawing of your oven with a size of your insulation - and you'll got the minimal size of the stand. Make that size to correspond to the size of your stand's blocks and you will find what you need

Comment

The tricky part is that there is variation within each component of your oven, including the cooking floor, plus:

Dome thickness 2 - 4.5"
        External cladding 0 - 1"
        Insulation thickness 3 - 6"
        Enclosure thickness .5 - 6"
        Enclosure finish .25 - 4"

The result is that an enclosure can range from 11.5" wider than the oven cooking floor to more than 43" wider. The most narrow oven, with a 2" thick dome, 3" of FB Blanket insulation and a .75" stucco enclosure is 2 1/2 feet (30") thinner than the same oven with a 4.5" thick dome, 1" cladding, 6" of vermiculite insulation and a chunky stone enclosure.

I think the basic formula might be helpful:

Oven cooking floor, plus
        Dome thickness (times two), plus
        Cladding (times two), plus
        Insulating layer (times two), plus
        Enclosure structure (times two), plus
        Enclosure finish material (times two).

Plug in your numbers, and that will give you your own oven enclosure width.

What do you think?
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
          The tricky part is that there is variation within each component of your oven

I think the basic formula might be helpful:

Oven cooking floor, plus
          Dome thickness (times two), plus
          Cladding (times two), plus
          Insulating layer (times two), plus
          Enclosure structure (times two), plus
          Enclosure finish material (times two).

Plug in your numbers, and that will give you your own oven enclosure width.

What do you think?
          James
          Now for the oven length....width is based on round configuration.

You have the entry arch/door area, the vent, the outer decorative arch and the landing. These last two are kind of personal on how you want it to look.

I think opting for a little larger stand is better than going too small though.

I agree with making a sketch of all the layers and thicknesses so you get a good understanding of what you will end up with.

Good luck, Jim
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Thanks a lot for your responses!

Temporarily calmer,
            Chuck

Comment

Working...
            X