New Guy But An Old Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy But An Old Guy

Hello folks. I am in the planning stage of making a wood-fired oven. I have been in the tile and stone business for over 40 years so I think I have the skill level.
    I am planning to build my first oven for my daughter in Florida and think I want to build them as a way to make some money too. I figure they go for a pretty penny.
    I have not decided on the Pompei or Alan Scott type of oven although I have been eyeballing the Alan Scott one for years.
    I Would love to see videos and get some plans. I like to see the creative things people come up with to achieve certain tasks.
    Several years ago I saw a photo of one of these ovens that had a fish for a chimney. Thought it was cool but can't seem to find the photo anywhere. Help?. I am in an area of Florida where there is the biggest manatee population and I think that would be a good to use as a deco of some kind .
    Just looks like fun.

Welcome to the forum! I recommend doing a search for Alan Scott and or barrel oven on this forum. The search function here is not the best, but if you do a google search with the structure shown below. Barrel ovens have some reported stability issues and the original design had an excessive amount of thermal mass in the floor. I had first read "The Bread Builders" and had my eye on building a Scott oven but found this site and did a bunch of homework. I ended up building a pompeii and have been happy with it.

"search term" fornobravo site:fornobravo.com
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

"the original design had an excessive amount of thermal mass in the floor." I am not exactly sure what this means but. I have pulled screed mud (deck mud) in large commercial kitchens with modified and
      un modified materials. If it is as simple as changing the mud for the floor like some of the vermiculite ones I have seen, I think I can handle that but, I don't think I will have a problem with either oven.
      Either one offers the choice of any type of facade you want to make It look like. Brick, stone, tile, decorative stucco. The possibilities are quite endless.
      i will take a look around and see what I find here. Its obviously one type of oven or the other.

Comment

If my memory serves me, the Scott design had a suspended concrete slab with the floor bricks sitting directly in contact with the slab. The more modern designs have the floor bricks (thermal mass) sitting on a layer of insulation, which will heat up faster and retain that heat longer than bricks that are bleeding heat into the substructure.
        My build thread
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Working...
        X