Greetings from Mid Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from Mid Michigan

What a wonderful site. I'm researching WFOs construction and operations. We are in the planning stages of a Licensed kitchen for maple syrup,jams and jellies, sorghum syrup, honey and a bakery. I believe that there is a movement for local food and it will only get stronger with the last tomatoe and beef recalls. People want to know who the maker/baker is and I'm hoping that this will devople into my retirement job. Keep up the good work and I will keep gleaning info as we go along and maybe someday I can be a guru at this art form.

Re: Greetings from Mid Michigan

Firetech,

Welcome to the forum! Keep reading, you'll soon be hooked and will be planning your own WFO!

Where are you in Mid Michigan? I live in Saginaw. I'm just starting my construction (well, I started quite awhile ago, but I'm not very far!).
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Welcome firetech! I'm on the other side of the lake, in mid Wisconsin. I agree with your thoughts about local food. Don't forget the added effects of gas prices - it's getting expensive to ship anything across the country. I'm just not sure I can give up those great Michigan blueberries and peaches! (I grew up near the lake by the Indiana/Michigan border; fruit central!)
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Welcome to the forum
        I run a small scale jam/jelly/syrup operation ( besides my pizza oven obsession) and found it to be a great deal of fun to create things that my customers request. I am in the process of making root beer jelly and Crannana jam ( bannanas and cranberries). Here is a link to the pectin company I use. Even if you do not use them they have a great technical helps page and are great people to work with.

Pacific Pectin - Home

I think you are right that people want to know who is making their food. I have been doing this for about 10 years and the demand is going up, despite the fact that my prices are higher than Costco. I promote my product as a premium Hand-Made product and actually encourage my customers to go to Wal-Mart. If they are looking for cheap nasty tasting strawberry jam ( made with high frutose corn syrup) - then Wally World is your store. However, if you want a high quality, hand made cranberry applebutter, come see me.
        Cane sugar is making a comeback - look at Jones soda sales
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

welcome....hope you can post some photos of your operations....
          and the oven build too!
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Working...
          X