Hi from Palm Beach county Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Palm Beach county Florida

I?m so glad that I stumbled onto this site! I found Forno Bravo while looking for information on bricks and pavers. I?m in the process of renovating my yard and pretty much paving the whole area, with the exception of a few beds for vegetables. It looks like it would be the perfect time to add a pizza oven. I?ve been captivated by all the different designs and variations of the Pompeii style oven that I have seen here. I could be wrong but it appears to me that you guys are in this for more than just the pizza. I?m truly impressed by the level of workmanship and passion that is displayed by the members here.
    I live in Palm Beach county Florida but grew up in New York. My grandfather had many Pizza restaurants east of the Mississippi so I grew up with a certain level of native pizza knowledge. I?m not sure if he ever had a brick pizza oven, though it?s a good question for my mom and aunts. I?ve been to many countries around the world and I always try to find a pizza place for a meal. Hey Australia was the first place I ever had pizza with ham and pineapple on it. Not bad at all. It looks like I will be able to get most of my supplies locally for the oven build and it looks like most of the knowledge is contained on this site. I just need to get information on local building codes and off I go. Any help is always greatly appreciated and a big hello to everybody here.

Regards
    Larry

Re: Hi from Palm Beach county Florida

Hey Larry.
    My wife and I are transplants from NY in Mississippi. What part of NY were you from? Sounds like you've got the bug! Thanks for the kind words about us members. We are pretty passionate about this stuff and I for sure will be glad to help with your project in whatever way I can. I am sure that many others will be right along side me!
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Hello and welcome to another Floridian. I'm just up the road a bit. Where did you get your firebricks and what'd you pay? I'm getting closer to starting mine and want to buy bricks soon. Again, welcome.

Comment

Hi Dutch
        I grew up in Plainview long Island. Yes your right I do have the bug bad. I bought a Husky 7 wet saw today.. Ha. Hopefully I will pour the slab in the next couple of weeks.
        Regards
        Larry

Comment

Hi Cam
          I lived in Jensen beach for a few years back when I was going to school. It's a nice area. I haven't bought the bricks yet but I did price them. I got a price of 1”x4”x9” --$1.25 ;; 2”x4”x9”--$1.20 ;; Heatstop 50 $67.00/bag from Cemex. I didn't know that Cemex bought out Rinker. Also I found it kinda strange that the 1"x4"x9"s were more than the 2"x4"x9"s. If your looking for used bricks and don't mind driving a guy in Lakeland has pallets of firebirck that was pulled out of a kiln. He's asking $1.00 a brick. Let me know if you encounter any kind of problem with minimums. I would be willing to split a pallet if we could get a better price.

Regards
          Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larrya1049 View Post
            Hi Dutch
            I grew up in Plainview long Island. Yes your right I do have the bug bad. I bought a Husky 7 wet saw today.. Ha. Hopefully I will pour the slab in the next couple of weeks.
            Regards
            Larry
            I was from the Hudson valley...Orange County...used to visit the Island a few times a year to play golf...at places like Maidstone, Bethpage, etc. I was a PGA professional so those were some of the perks!
            Wetsaw...now for the mortar mixer!!!
            The dimensions on those firebrick sound a bit strange...most I have seen have been 2.5 inches for the full and 1.25 for the splits...no matter though...the splits are more I think because they don't sell as many and have to basically retool the plant...so I was told by a guy who used to work for a manufacturer...I am in brick world here and the full firebrick go for about $1 to $1.10 each so your price is pretty well on..
            Good luck to you both...
            Dutch
            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

welcome aboard
              This is a pretty cool sight. This is relatively new to me, to be connect to people who have the same passion but that you have never met. There is enough wisdom here from others that really no other source it required to build a fine oven.
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome Larry - bring it on! You just tapped into an incredible knowledge base. Between everyone here, I don't think you have a question that cannot be answered.

good luck!

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My Mom lives in Jensen and I have a rental property there as well. I found out about the Rinker/Cemex thing when I poured a pad for my shed about 6 weeks ago. The brick dimensoins are odd. Are they low duty??? The kiln bricks are probably not low duty, unfortunately. Very important. There is definitely power in numbers and I would definitely be willing to split a load.

Comment

Hi Cam
                    The guy at Cemex, down here, who's in charge firebricks didn't know if they were low duty. He said that they were regular firebrick. I’m not sure if low duty is cheaper than medium or how the pricing goes. I definitely would like to see what they have. We should be able to get an MDS sheet on them. That should tell us what the composition is. I will see what I can find today. When you poured the pad for your shed did you use Cemex? I’m unfamiliar with concrete delivery. I’ve only ever mixed by hand and if I wind up using about 80 bags I would want to buy a small mixer or even better have it pumped from a truck if the price is right.
                    Regards
                    Larry

Comment

Unfortunately I can't get a mix truck in my back yard, so the pad was 90 80lb. bags and a rental mixer for $60 for the wekend. The mixer did 3-4 bags at a time. Cemex had the best price on a yrd of gravel for fill. I'm interested in what they say about the bricks. Although I wouldn't start untill it cools off, I'd buy now if the price was good.

Comment

Working...
                      X