Hello from Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Toronto

After much searching I found this site and I'm impresssed.

I've been toying with the idea of outdoor oven for a few yrs now as a feature of an outdoor kitchen. The big concern up here in Canada is the winters and how the stonework will survive through the cold and snow. We have a huge Italian population here and all the old guyss think I'm a bit nuts to try buiding an oven outdoors. They may be right as I have no masonry skills but then again, none of them have really tried it. I'd like to try it at least.

Re: Hello from Toronto

Welcome to the forum.
    We have a lot of Canadians here. They are very well versed in the nuances of building for your climate. If none of them chime in, we also have the next best thing, builders from Wisconson

all the old guyss think I'm a bit nuts to try buiding an oven outdoors

They will only think you are nuts until they taste your pizza.

I have no masonry skills

Quite a few of the successful pompei builders started out with no masonry skills or experience. You'll do fine. Spend some time searching the forum and try to follow a few builds from start to finish to get a feel for the project. After your brain starts to hurt, begin your build, take photos and ask questions.

Welcome to the obsession.
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Brokencookie is correct! I had never laid a brick or actually finished concrete myself until I tried this. (I did have the advantage of a husband who had poured concrete before, but not for "pretty finish", just for footers) My oven also looks a bit like I never did, but it's standing up, just the same. And I'm finally at the point where I can do some things to it that I HAVE done before, for a change!

Get some gloves (the ones with the rubberized front and cloth backs are good), ear protection, and safety glasses, and a respirator or dust mask. We frequently don't emphasize them enough- but you only have one set of ears, eyes and lungs, and mortar and bricks are really hard on hands.

Read everything you can here, as suggested. Remember that our motto is Insulate, insulate, insulate!
      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Eugene,

I'm located to the north and east of Toronto (Port Perry area) and have a fair bit of experience dealing with our climate and notorious freeze-thaw cycles when it comes to ovens and masonry. Send me an email if you have specific questions.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hi Eugene,

I'm in Ottawa and my oven survived it's first, very nasty, winter just fine. I even cooked pizzas one night when it was minus 20! Tell that to the guys who think you're crazy .

My masonry experience was nil but I managed OK and even enjoyed the process.

You can do it!

Sarah

Comment

Working...
          X